Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtowing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: towing
    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 6:45pm
my wife and I are planning on buying a rpod 192 and towing with a 2016  Tacoma V6 4wd towing package has anyone towed that model with a Tacoma?
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 6:58pm
Welcome!
We tow a 179 which is a little smaller with a 2010 Nissan Frontier V6 4WD. It works okay. Since your Tacoma has the tow package, you should be okay. Keep the towing speed to 60 mph or lower and don't try to be the first one up the mountain, and you will be okay. Make sure you add a brake controller. Many use the Tekonsha P3. I use a Hopkins InSIGHT FlexMount controller. Redarc has a new one that looks pretty good but is somewhat spendy. It hides the main part behind the dash and has a knob that mounts to control it. I like the Hopkins because of the display that I have mounted on top of the dash and the manual control that I have in easy reach. However, etrailer does not seem to have it listed for sale anymore.

One thing you will probably want with the Tacoma is a weight distribution hitch, preferably with sway control. Otherwise, the trailer will weigh down the back end and remove weight from the front end, making steering a bit more problematic. A WDH will transfer some of that weight back to the front axle, making steering more secure and making sure your headlights stay focused where they should be instead of blinding oncoming drivers. Sway control is something you may not need, but if a situation arises where you do, it is better to have it than to wish you had gotten it after the fact. If you get a WD hitch without sway control, you could add a friction sway bar or add an electronic sway control such as that from Hayes, Lippert, or Tucon.

When do you hope to purchase your 192?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 8:25am
If your Taco has the 6800 lb tow rating that should be OK. 

The way to check towing capacity is to look at the max trailer weight (in your case that's 3449 dry wt + 1411 cargo = 4860). Just assume the trailer will weigh that much, if you fill the water tank and add batteries and gear for boon docking it won't be far from that. So, you're good on the towing capacity. 

Then check the gross combined vehicle weight rating which is 11,360 for your truck against the total load you will have. That is the curb weigh (4480 if you have the double cab and 4305 for the access cab)  plus the trailer plus passengers and gear in the truck. So, 11360-4860-4480= 2020 available for load in the truck.  You don't want to be right at the limit but as long as you're not carrying a literal ton of people and gear plus a fully loaded trailer you'll be fine.

I agree with StephenH on the weight distribution/antisway system. You will be driving a rig where the trailer likely will weigh more than the tow vehicle so anything you can do to stabilize things will be good. 

Also watch your tongue weight, which needs to be at least 10% of trailer weight to avoid sway (486 lbs for a fully loaded 192), and can't be more than 640-650 lbs depending on which cab your truck has. 

I highly suggest that you load up your trailer and weight it and the tongue to be sure you're within these limits. You only need to do that once unless you change things a lot in the future. If you do a search on the forum I have a write up a couple of places on how to do this at a public scale. 

Have fun with your new rig!

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:16am
Welcome to the board and enjoy your new trailer.  You'll probably be really pleased with the balance of the Taco and the trailer.  I agree with StephenH and OG that a WHD is essential.  You'll find the ride far smoother and more comfortable.  I also agree with StephenH to keep the speed below 60 on the highway.  And, with OG about tongue weight and getting a base weight at a scale.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Xegavas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:48am
Welcome !!

We haven't received our 196 yet but I have drawn up a spread sheet of weights and capacities. I have also done a ton of research on the subject as we will be pulling our 196 with a Canyon Duramax. Good advice from other members - one thing I have also found to keep an eye on is to make sure you don't exceed your trucks payload capacity or axle capacity(s). I found it was really easy to hit my payload capacity when adding tongue weight plus gear and people in the truck. Payload and axle ratings can be found on the driver side door jam (usually). You will defiantly want a WDH of some sort - I think we will be going with a Blue Ox Sway Pro - as it combines weight distribution and sway control into a single unit and is well reviewed.

I have found many folks over on the Coloradofans forums that tow much larger and heavier units than the 192/196 with our size truck and claim that they do it well.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 1:07pm
Xegavas, you might like this towing calculator, in addition to your weight ratings it also calculates the effect of the  wdh and displays all the results using dial gauges. You will need to take a couple of length measurements on your rig and input those. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply