R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRefrigerator Issue - ammonia smell

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refrigerator Issue - ammonia smell
    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 5:52pm
After going through the ordeal of cleaning out combustion chamber, heat stack and then poking a small hole through a plugged orifice I felt reasonably happy with the fridge in our 2011 177, temps going up to 44 during the day (outside temps in low 80's) and now not exceeding 41 during the day (but outside temp is only 72) and at night the fridge temp drops to 34 and that is at a setting of 3 out of a possible 5 dots.

Recently I have smelled a really odd smell, something I never smelled before.  My neighbor, who has sold travel trailers for years said it is ammonia as he said it was burning his eyes.  It has been this way for the past 10 days, still cools well but the smell is not a welcome one.  I was told that it is on its way out by my neighbor and there is no way to replace the gas inside the system.  So do you all agree on this one, am I looking at purchasing a new Dometic fridge?  The build date on it shows June 2010 and yet I think that over the 9+ years of ownership the unit has maybe 13 or 14 months of continuous use.  If our refrigerators at home lasted that short of time there would be war in the camp.  Also recommend looking at Amazon or E Bay or going direct through to Dometic to purchase a new one?  Thanks for the replies.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 7:02pm
Yes. If the ammonia is leaking, so is the hydrogen. More than anything else, turn off the gas supply or you risk not having an RPod.

I'm not sure if this place can help you. At the least, you will be able to compare how much it would cost to replace the cooling unit vs. replacing the whole refrigerator.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 7:52am
New fridge for sure jato, that one is gone. Are you seeing any greenish or unusual residue anywhere? 10 years is about right for a RV fridge lifetime, and it doesn't matter if its in use or not, the ammonia is corrosive and is eating it from the inside out the whole time.

You don't necessarily get 10 years from new home fridges anymore either btw, just how thing are now in our disposable world. But RV fridges have always been like that.

I would be leery of getting a refurbished or remanufactured cooling unit. What are they actually replacing? How do you know there isn't corrosion somewhere else in there that will open a hole quickly? Also, the cooling units aren't the only thing that fails in these, the circuit boards eventually have problems too, and they are either horrendously expensive to replace or unavailable. If you buy a new unit you can cannibalize the old circuit boards and either keep them as spares if they will fit your new unit or sell them here or on ebay to recover some $$. 

If you can get by with a cooler, you might want to wait a few months to buy and get a better price, right now there is a backlog I'm sure due to the busy (and Covid delayed) camping season.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:25am
Contact FR for a new refrigerator.  Their price are competitive and they will make sure you get the replacement that fits your trailer.  The cost of a new refrigerator will be less than paying someone to install a replacement cooling unit and you will have the peace of mind that it will work properly.  If you are a vet, be sure to mention it and you'll get a discount.  

When I replaced the fridge on our 172, they were very helpful in adjusting to the wiring changes Dometic made to the newer models.  I did the installation myself and it took less than half a day, mostly spent upgrading from the original installation.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:33am
Thank you StevenH and Offgrid for the wise advice and wisdom.  I checked your link StevenH on the rebuilds and even though they are new material as far as hardware is concerned, the added caveat that Offgrid brings to the table (like the circuit board) is a concern.  That being the case I will commence to look for a replacement for the RM 8501.  Any good leads or should I just go straight to Dometic?
God's pod
'11 model 177
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:36am
Fred, thanks for the advice.  Our posts crossed while I was making my last point above.  Just came to mind, how did you remove the fridge?  Do I need to take the entire outside wall off the slide or can it be done from the inside? - ok UPDATE - I see the 4 screws on the outside edge of the interior wall of the fridge so that it can be removed from the inside.
God's pod
'11 model 177
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:37am
Sounds like a good move. I hope you can get a replacement quickly so you can get back out there safely.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 11:07am
Jato, once you disconnect the wires and gas line in the back, the four screws you found in the front are what holds the fridge in place.  And, yes, it comes out from inside the trailer.  

When I replaced ours, I added insulation on the walls that surround the fridge, upgraded the DC power supply to #10 wire, painted the plywood below the fridge to seal it, and cut an access port in the floor of the fridge space to clean up the wiring mess below the fridge.  One critical element of the installation is to get a proper seal all the way around the refrigerator so you will have proper draft in for the heat dissipation fins.  You will see a gasket around the top and sides that will likely need a little attention and you'll need to seal with caulk along the bottom of the unit (easier to do with a freshly painted base under the fridge).  

If you want to discuss the installation on the phone, pm me and I'll send my number.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 12:39pm
We also replaced our fridge.  As Lostagain says , the area around the edges of the fridge need to be addressed. I used a can of expanding spray foam and it worked great. when you first use it, it looks terrible!  It expands a LOT-and squirts out everywhere.  Once it dries, it is easy to cut off the excess and makes a nice seal.
Save as many of the parts(shelves, thermister, burner parts, gas valve/gas line, exhaust fans, etc) as they are really expensive and hard to find
Good luck
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply