R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedItem location on the tongue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Item location on the tongue
    Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 10:02am
I have a 179 - 2015 model.  I have two 6v GC batteries that are mounted up against the curve of the front of the body, making it very difficult to check water etc on the batteries and easily remove them for winter if wanted.  They reside in a plastic box with lift off lid that came from the dealer when I bought the rig new, which is difficult to access and marginally secure.  I want to put the batteries in a Harbor Freight box with a hinged lid, but would have to set the box forward about 6" to allow the lid to open without scrapping the body.  I have been working on this project since March and we have not been camping so there is no urgency. I have plenty of battery cable.  I came up with the idea of putting the propane cylinder back where the batteries are now since the propane cylinder has a recessed top valve, and attaching the new battery  box where the cylinder sits now.   I previously added a Jack-E-Up mount to the Trailer jack, and the box would b e a convenient place to store the jack when traveling.  I have the limited welding capability and scrap steel. The propane pressure regulator could attach to the new box somewhere.

Any one have any comments about this modification?

Thanks
Mirado View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 12:56pm
I have two 6V batteries, and probably the same Harbor Freight box.  In my case, I was able to move the propane bottle forward just a few inches and mount the box almost against the front of the trailer body.  The lid touches the curve of the front when open, but does not cause any damage or scraping.  I also mounted the propane regulator on the side of the Harbor Freight box, with no hose modifications.  I will admit the batteries are not real convenient to get in and out of the box...but I only need to do that twice a year.  My thinking was to keep the batteries as far back from the ball as possible.
Miriam and Doug
2015 Rpod 181G
Silverado 1500
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 4:56pm
I also have a 2015 179. We have 2GC-2 on the front end, single propane and the spare tire. I have a welder friend who did the work. We moved the propane tank forward as far as possible-we have a manual jack, so it was smaller. That would help add some usable space.
One thing to consider if you use a wdh is the location of the contact points on the A frame.  I could not use a box-one came mounted on the trailer when I bought it, but I took it off. But regardless, my wdh interferred with the box.  the only way was to add more height to the frame( as I recall about 2 1/2") but that would mean you have to move the box forward to clear the front body curve. then my spare wouldn't fit.
good luck
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 4:59pm
Sorry, I meant to include the picture
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 5:48pm
I use one of these on my 177 to hold two Group 24 batteries:

No need to move anything other than the plastic battery boxes (to the trash).

You can do a search on here and see my pics of the installation
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 5:43am
I also have a 179 with dual GC2's. I use two of these boxes.

I didn't need to modify the battery rack. The tops do press slightly against the front wall but come off and on no problem. Not difficult at all to check the water levels, etc. 

As far as holding the batteries well, the straps are fine. Remember that trailers are not airplanes, they are not subjected to negative g loads. LOL The only way those batteries are going to come out of there is if the rPod rolls over, maybe. If that happens then that will be the least of my worries.....
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 8:55am
We used this box for our GC2's.. didn't have any issues servicing them. We stay plugged in, so don't remove for the off season.

john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 9:19am

All valid points.  Thanks.  Back to the garage.  One can get too complicated by over thinking.   I do like the removable Jack so I can open the tailgate of the pickup when hitched up.
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 7:31am
My installation on the 177.

2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 10:54pm

Here's My harbor freight Box. I couldn't get to the handle easily, I had to move the tank forward and then with the second tank it worked good because i could just grab the handle between the tanks
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>