Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Wish List
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedpull out stove for 192

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: pull out stove for 192
    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 8:49am
We recently bought a 192 and one feature I liked was the pull-out stove feature.  I did not realize it only had the large cast iron(?) griddle on this stove.  Tried to use it but uneven heating, hard to clean and not level.

Would love to see the stove with a two-burner option to place pans or half and half option.  Also the griddle started rusting greatly after first washing. Cannot use the stove any more Unhappy 
retired cap
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 9:56am
Don't give up on the griddle. It isn't ruined. It can be restored. The cast iron griddle is like a cast iron frying pan. It needs to be seasoned to protect the iron from oxygen which causes the iron to oxidize (rust). Scrub it off and don't wash it, especially with soap. Scrape it off and make sure you oil it well before storing. See the Blackstone seasoning instructions here. This Popular Science article gives the rationale behind seasoning.

Clean the griddle (for this, you will need to use soap and rinse well. Use a stainless steel scrubbing pad to help remove the rust. Then dry it immediately and follow the seasoning instructions above. Doing the seasoning and always make sure to keep your griddle dry will go a long way toward avoiding the rust problem.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 2:28pm
My 195 had the 2 burner stovetop on the pull out stove, along with a small "sink" tub next to it. I actually removed the whole unit and store my grills in that area now. I prefer having my grills instead of a stove top. I use a blackstone griddle top, and a regular table top propane grill, depending on what i'm cooking.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 7:34pm
I realize I gave some contradictory information in my prior post. Only for cleaning the rust do you use soap. Once that is done and the cast iron is clean, season per the instructions in the video. Once a good seasoning is built up, just use water and a scrubber or brush to get food particles off and then immediately dry and oil. You don't want to remove the seasoning that you took so much time and effort to build up, so don't be too aggressive with the scrubbing.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
PaulP View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 6:35am
Thanks for the replies--I will season the griddle and give it another chance!!Big smile
retired cap
 Post Reply Post Reply