R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedlug (wheel) nuts on 2016 RP171 HR edition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: lug (wheel) nuts on 2016 RP171 HR edition
    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 11:52am
Sorry if already discussed but I got no hits on variants of a "lug nut" or "wheel nut" search.
I was removing my wheels to make it easier to get at the axle grease zerks and wound up mangling one of the "chrome" sleeves that cover the actual nuts by not seating the lug wrench deeply enough.  I could not get a purchase on the mangled nut to reinstall it and had to replace it.  Fortunately this happened in my driveway.  When inspecting the rest of the nuts I found that 6 of the 10 had cracks in the sleeves so they were a problem just waiting to happen.  The bases of the actual nuts were rusty so the chrome sleeve did not actually solve a problem.  I wound up replacing all the lug nuts with NAPA part # 641-2146, Wheel Nut 1/2-20, for about $30.  These are chrome looking solid machined nuts and should prevent the problem.  I was surprised to find that the OEM nuts were sleeved rather than solid.  What a place for a cosmetic surprise.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 1:12pm
I'm not surprised. Even autos and trucks have the chrome sleeve over the real lug nuts. They are likely cheaper to make than solid machined lug nuts so that is what gets used.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply