R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAir Conditioner Vibrated Loose

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air Conditioner Vibrated Loose
    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 2:46pm
Great! I'm glad it turned out well for you. Thumbs Up
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
RockyMtnRPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 3:13pm
Mike,  What do you mean by "When I wired everything back up"?  So, you cannot remove the AC and leave associated wiring in place?  I'm also in Montana and mine has fallen down twice now. First, on a cross country highway trip, and then this weekend on some roads up by Jocko. Liking the vent/skylight  idea.

Chris
2020 TRD/Off Road Tundra with Sway Bar and SuperSprings
2016 178 "Sage"
mikeyg2347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 4:23pm
When you remove the AC there is some wiring that has to be separated or cut. There's a yellow power cable that I cut, taped the end heavily and shoved back in the hole it came out of. I also flipped the AC breaker off just for insurance to prevent sparking in the future. Then there's smaller wires to the right (facing the door side) that go to lights over my bed plus three wires to the thermostat. When you remove the inside portion of the air conditioner you'll see what I'm talking about. That ac unit is a heavy sucker. I took some nylon rope, tied it to the ac unit, made a wrap around the antenna and was able to slowly lower it down the front of the trailer. I realized immediately that I needed something for the unit to slide on or it was going to leave black marks all down the front of the trailer, so I grabbed a piece of cardboard and slipped it underneath the AC. I was working solo, but if you have someone on the ground to help you get it down it would be a lot easier.  Keep in mind I'm not an electrician, just a DYI guy who uses the internet for info.

Were you on the Jocko road? I live in Seeley and took a trailer full of llamas over that road about 15 years ago. I swore never again.
Mike
RockyMtnRPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 9:52pm
Thanks for info. I did see that wiring today when I dropped the inside part of the dometic. Those details help a lot.  I was also thinking of a rope and lowering the roof unit over the front and even towels or something underneath - and help!

We explored up toward the top but stayed on the Placid side of the res. boundary. I needed cell coverage for work and we found a good spot for the night just off the main road.

Nice and cool up there this morning. Maybe 40F?  Which reminds me I think the furnace has shifted slightly, too. Haven't looked closely, yet.  RPod is getting beat up after a 5000 mile summer.  I shut the gas off at the can to avoid any problems overnight.

Chris
2020 TRD/Off Road Tundra with Sway Bar and SuperSprings
2016 178 "Sage"
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 8:04am
Yeah, we're easing into autumn around here. Mornings have been great. Now if this smoke would just blow out. I drove up that Placid road one day in late June and people were camped everywhere. We've never seen it so crazy around here with tourists, campers and people trying to get away from COVID. 

When you removed the interior portion of the ac you could see why those things break loose. Mine was screwed into the ceiling by four screws that barely penetrated the ceiling panel. The scary part was realizing that the outside was held in place by only three bolts, two of which had broken. I'm lucky that thing didn't wind up in the middle of I-15 last week. 
Mike
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 8:32am
Originally posted by RockyMtnRPod

Thanks for info. I did see that wiring today when I dropped the inside part of the dometic. Those details help a lot.  I was also thinking of a rope and lowering the roof unit over the front and even towels or something underneath - and help!

Chris

Find a stout tree limb to park under, get a block and tackle, lift the a/c up, pull forward, lower it. Safe and done. Afterwards you will be a true shade tree mechanic. Big smile
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 9:38am
Is there a certification for that?
Mike
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 9:57am
Yeah, sure is. If you get the a/c offa there without scraping up your pod. getting crushed, or needing back surgery you're certified LOL
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12