R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWind Turbine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wind Turbine
    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 7:13pm
I can't win. I finally started understanding solar. Now I'm under a tropical storm watch for the next there days!

Can I get a little help on building a wind turbine? Ermm

There's always somethin.

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 7:32pm
Wind turbine isnt that 3 parts rum two parts whiskey a little burbon and a twist of lime
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Leo B

Wind turbine isnt that 3 parts rum two parts whiskey a little burbon and a twist of lime

Ha! That's called a blackout!

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by fwunder

I can't win. I finally started understanding solar. Now I'm under a tropical storm watch for the next there days!
Shen it gets to us in NC, it is very possible that it will be a hurricane again. Right now, the track is projected to pass east of us but we are within the cone of possibility.  I think I may hitch the RPod to the truck and fill the fresh water tank for added stability.
Can I get a little help on building a wind turbine? Ermm

There's always somethin.
The wind is likely to be too strong for a wind turbine anyway.

I'm glad we live at enough of an elevation that storm surge won't be a problem and that we live toward the top of a hill so flooding won't be likely. Trees are the big worry. I just had some branches that were close to the house cut off which should help. What won't help is if a whole tree gets blown over.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 5:30am
Try living on the OBX if you want to stress out whenever there’s a tropical storm. Hatteras was evac’d Saturday. First time in 20 years that I can watch the hurricane models and not have to worry. Who hoo, I love living at 2500 ft elev on top of a hill 200 miles inland with no trees close to the house.

Re wind turbines, their power production goes with the cube of the wind speed so they’ll produce around 8x at 30 what they’ll produce at 15 mph. Above about 30 they are supposed to furl. So you’ll be charging like crazy just before the storm center hits and either it furls or blows away. 😱

If you are a weather nerd like I am check out tropicaltidbits. You can bring up the various global weather models and get a detailed look at the wind and rain expected in your area over time.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 7:21am
Depending on your vehicle, depending on how much amperage/wattage you need to replace, depending on how much you drive on a particular day...

Think DC/DC charger. Ya, the Pod has one built in, but is it as good as a dedicated unit? What I'm seeing my DC/DC charger is so much better. I don't carry my solar any longer. I also don't stay put for more than a few days (tops).

For me, it works awesome! Could it for you.. depends.
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 8:05am
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

Depending on your vehicle, depending on how much amperage/wattage you need to replace, depending on how much you drive on a particular day...

Think DC/DC charger. Ya, the Pod has one built in, but is it as good as a dedicated unit? What I'm seeing my DC/DC charger is so much better. I don't carry my solar any longer. I also don't stay put for more than a few days (tops).

So you're using a dedicated dc/dc converter supplied by your tow vehicle alternator? What type and what is its output current rating? Does your alt supply it adequately idling or do you need to keep the rpm up by driving? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 8:17am
Originally posted by offgrid

If you are a weather nerd like I am check out tropicaltidbits. You can bring up the various global weather models and get a detailed look at the wind and rain expected in your area over time.

Tropicaltidbits is good.

25 years living 7 feet or less above sea level on the Southeast coast of Florida or on small boats sailing around the Bahamas and GOM gave me a healthy respect and bit of obsessive weather nerdism. Andrew was a pain. A big pain.

Moved up here and Sandy followed. Arghhhh. Removed tree threat to house, but the power infrastructure around me is fragile. I will have portable 8K generator hooked up and ready to go tomorrow. Easier to do when it's not pouring rain. Bought that right before Sandy and keeps most of the house going. Many weak trees around due to emerald ash borer right now. Got plenty elevation and river is low so little danger of flooding.

A good site with tons of links I have followed for years for carib weather =>  https://www.stormcarib.com/

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

I am definitely finding that the DC to DC charger I installed along with the dedicated circuit to run it works great. The Frontier could not charge the LiFePO4 battery. I figured this out when we made a trip to Florida after installing the LiFePO4 battery but before I figured out we needed the DC to DC charger. I started with a full battery and after our drive down, ended up with a battery at about 60% charge. Part of the issue is the Frontier's adaptive alternator. It can't put out the voltage needed to charge the LiFePO4 battery because it is using the Frontier's Pb-A battery for reference.

Since installing the battery isolator and dedicated circuit, I don't have to worry about unplugging the 'Pod when we stop overnight or about whether the 'Pod will run the TV's battery down. Also, I now can both charge the LiFePO4 battery and run the refrigerator on 12V while we are on the road. I never could do that before since the 7-way plug's 12V supply was insufficient, even when we had the dual 6V batteries.

I got the Renogy 20A DC to DC charger. You can see it in my mods.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 10:15am
Happy hour tomorrow at my house.

Just park under the   L

Actually, it's usually a good thing to be under the bulls eye this far out. Shirley, it will change...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>