Topic Closednew r-pod - Event Date: 31 Jul 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: new r-pod
    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 10:18pm
Don't look to FR for a cover. Classic Accessories makes covers for RPods. I don't know if they have one suitable for the 196 though. I have one for our 179.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 8:04am
Many of have purchased covers from ClassicAccessories. There was one specifically to fit my 172. I don't know about the 196.  They are very help if you call them (or at least they were...may not have office staff right now.)  BTW their mid-grade covers (they sell three levels) has a lifetime warranty. Its far superior to the slightly cheaper one that came with my pod.
Julie
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 5:27pm
Bought ours from Classic.
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Mom Dunn

Thank you, everyone has  great advice here Big smile. We signed contract today, and get to pick it up Saturday, very excited. We are in the middle of remodeling whole house room by room now that kids are gone, so we are able to do a lot of repairs on our own.Where would be a place for sway bar? Will also check into the mirrors.

You will really want a weight distribution hitch (WDH) I think. That is a totally different function from a sway bar.  When you drop a trailer on your tow vehicle (TV) hitch the weight on the back actually lifts the front of the tow vehicle up, reducing your ability to steer and brake.  And the load on the rear axle of the TV goes up by even more than the tongue weight. For a relatively light TV like the Taco that's not good. The WDH is designed to compensate for that by re-balancing the TV axle loads.  It has tension bars on it that you adjust to push the front of your TV back down. 

Most but not all WDH's also have anti-sway capability by creating friction to limit the trailer's tendency to sway side to side. That is good to have but it is very important to first load the trailer correctly so you don't get sway to begin with.  That means to place enough weight toward the front of the trailer so the back end isn't creating a tail wagging the dog scenario. 

I highly recommend loading up and weighing your rig at a public scale at least once so you know what you actually have. You want the tongue weight to be at least 10% of the total trailer weight to minimize the possibility of sway. To get your tongue weight go through the scale twice, once with and once without the trailer, getting the weight on each axle one at a time. The difference between the combined weight of the two TV axles with and without the trailer attached is the tongue weight. Don't have your WDH tensioned up when you weigh or it will throw things off.  

I know all this sounds complicated and it is, until you understand how it all works. Like everything else in life, after that its easy. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Badweissenbier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 10:37am
Your dealer should be able to sell you the weight distribution hitch and sway bars.
It may cost a little more than the internet sales, but you get the added benefit of having them set it up for you.
PaulP View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 8:41am
My wife and I have owned several travel trailers, large and small (ALiner)--we recently bought the rpod 192 and love it!   Small SUV pulling it no problem.  It is the perfect size for an older couple (67 & 66 yoa) with a small dog.  Pulls easily, sets up easily, plenty of storage.  Still getting used to the convection oven.
We have not dry-camped yet with it but I always carry a spare deep cycle battery just in case.

Good luck and hope you love it!!

Campn in NY
retired cap
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 9:43am
Originally posted by PaulP

Small SUV pulling it no problem.  It is the perfect size for an older couple (67 & 66 yoa) with a small dog.  Pulls easily, sets up easily, plenty of storage.  

Welcome. 

A small SUV means a 3500 lb tow rated one? Or 5000 lb, which is generally considered mid size? 

The gross trailer weight of a 192 is almost 5000 lbs, 3500lbs is waay too small for that trailer. Bear in mind that vehicle tow ratings assume nothing but the driver is in the TV. A mid size SUV might work if you keep the trailer as light as possible (don't carry any water in the tanks) and very little load in the tow vehicle. 

I highly suggest that you weigh your trailer, tongue, and rig and see what you really have rather than depend on how it feels to tow it. Cars these days generally have plenty of hp so that can feel fine even though the TV is overloaded. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12