R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Slide out bent floor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slide out bent floor
    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 10:05am
Yes, that is much worse than what I am seeing with ours. I have a welder and some angle iron. I am thinking of making an outrigger or two and bolting it to the frame at the front and back of the slide-out. I will see if I can use a jack to raise the side back up first though. Another alternative is to visit a metal shop near me and see if I can get outriggers made and welded to the frame. That would likely be better, but bolting them to the frame would probably work also.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 11:10am
I would be careful about bolting to the frame. The wall thickness of the frame is only .100 thousandths, or 4/5 of an 1/8. Drilling large holes (3/8 or 1/2) to fit suitable hardware thru would weaken the tubing. It would also put horizontal pressure on the tubing, that is intended to carry weight vertically. A couple good tack welds would be more structurally sound in my opinion. Like I said earlier, probably should space them out about every 24 - 27 inches. Good luck. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 11:41am
+1 to mjlrpod. I wouldn't try to through bolt to the 0.1 inch frame tube. If you want to attach to the frame without welding to it, then I'd suggest following the procedure that FR did fixing the floor in the video. Weld plates to the supports and TEK screw them to the frame. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:16pm
Okay. I took another look at the video. I was thinking of using 1-1/2" angle iron for this, but it looks like that would not provide enough contact surface for the screws. I will need to see if I can find some plates to use for this purpose. It may have to wait until I can make a trip to a metal shop.

As for tack welds, these would not be long enough to allow for 24-27" spacing. The height would only be the same as that of the frame. That is why I was thinking of bolting it. My welding skills are not that good that I would trust trying to weld that close to the floor. However, I will take the advice and use TEK screws instead of bolting.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 1:13pm
Okay. I took another look at the video. I was thinking of using 1-1/2" angle iron for this, but it looks like that would not provide enough contact surface for the screws. I will need to see if I can find some plates to use for this purpose. It may have to wait until I can make a trip to a metal shop.

As for tack welds, these would not be long enough to allow for 24-27" spacing. The height would only be the same as that of the frame. That is why I was thinking of bolting it. My welding skills are not that good that I would trust trying to weld that close to the floor. However, I will take the advice and use TEK screws instead of bolting the plates if I do this.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Junkinpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Junkinpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 8:29pm
Hi! Owner of 2014 182g here... and I have struggled with a similar issue.  when I removed the flooring I found that 2 welds, 2 floor joist had let go.  See my original post "

Broken Welds on Floor Joists" and subsequent posts, which shows the supports that I had welded onto the frame to support the wall/floor frame.  The outer wall of my trailer had dropped 3" on the slide out to the rear of the trailer.  The local welder was able to re-weld one of the floor joists, but not the one under the slide (without removing the slide etc).  Sounds like you may have a similar issue.   Crappy welds!!!!  Good luck with your repair.       

Belinda
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 11:08pm
Thanks. I got my repair completed and posted details in my mods (link in signature). I don't think the welds broke yet as the floor did not seem to be too far off. The outrigger supports I made are to make sure that the floor does not sag too much which would stress the welds even more. We need to make a trip though so I can see if they are working as expected.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 9:59am
I was concerned about this with our 179 and contacted FR who recommended the outriggers.  They made it sound like it might be some type of post production warranty as they said if I took it to the dealer and it was a problem then they would send the outriggers to the dealer who would install them.  I hope your dealer is way better than ours!

Fortunately things have stabilized and I've not had to do that. 
2017 179
2016 Silverado Z71
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Andy

I was concerned about this with our 179 and contacted FR who recommended the outriggers.  They made it sound like it might be some type of post production warranty as they said if I took it to the dealer and it was a problem then they would send the outriggers to the dealer who would install them.  I hope your dealer is way better than ours!

Fortunately things have stabilized and I've not had to do that. 

That's interesting. Are you saying that FR acknowledged there was a problem with their construction and that outriggers were their recommended fix and something they have made available to dealers? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 1:21pm
I'm definitely looking forward to FR's response to this.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>