R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Seal Maintenance - Products, Schedule, Checklists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSeal Maintenance - Products, Schedule, Checklists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seal Maintenance - Products, Schedule, Checklists
    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 10:46pm
I just purchased a 182G from out of state and had it shipped up. We have used it two weekends and I am going through the inspections and general maintenance little by little. I need some help with the best maintenance products used to repair seals, seams, and like. So far this is what I have. I can update as people post.

As always, thanks for the help!

Underside barrier - Eternabond Tape (I used Gorilla Brand Waterproof tape and it is holding nicely)
Spoiler - Eternabond Tape (leaving bottom side open)  
1" Trim Covering Roof/Wall Seam - Camco or QPN Vinyl Trim (all pretty standard here) 

Sealant around exterior lights - Dicor Cap sealant or ProFlex RV flexible sealant
Sealant where molding meets the roof and walls - Dicor CAP sealant or ProFlex RV flexible sealant
Gaps where molding meets underside - Dicor lap sealant
Area around R-Dome/Awning Track -
Fiberglass Exterior - regular wash and wax - recommended products below > Protect-All All Surface Care
Spot Cleaning - LA Awesome

General Rubber/Weather Stripping Maintenance
Rubber Seals - lubricate periodically with Protect-All Slide-Out Rubber Seal Treatment, Aerospace 303 protectant, [Slide-out] Rubber seal conditioner (lots of manufacturers)

Helpful Checklists for Maintenance, Before you tow, other people's camping gear lists, and similar

... and from the Forest River Manual

2017 R-Pod 182G Hood River
2017 Tundra TRD Crew Max 5.7L V8
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 8:33am
Dicor lap sealant will take care of most of the second half of the list too.  The window weather striping needs to be periodically lubricated with a little silicone or similar product.  For the track, if you want to reseal the screw holes, you can use a caulk like 3M 5200 or similar sealer by putting some on the threads and into the hole and resetting the screws.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 9:34am
Rubber seals: Protect-All Slide-Out Rubber Seal Treatment. (comes in aerosol can) Use for rubber seals on slide-out as well as rubber seals around windows and door.
Overall: Protect-All All Surface Care. (comes in trigger-squeeze sprayer bottle) Overall waxing and UV protection. Good for all surfaces. Regular use can keep the surfaces looking good. Better to prevent oxidation than to try to remove it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
D&H View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 1:14pm
What are the different uses for leveling vs non-leveling lap sealant?
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Rubber seals: Protect-All Slide-Out Rubber Seal Treatment. (comes in aerosol can) Use for rubber seals on slide-out as well as rubber seals around windows and door....

This stuff looks good.  Anyone else use it I wonder (not that I don't trust your advice explicitly Tongue)
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
D&H View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 2:22pm
Anyone ever use GE 2+ silicone sealer instead of Dicor? I am having a heck of a time finding Dicor in Alaska and no one will ship it up...
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 2:23pm
We have used Protect-All Rubber Seal Treatment on our slide's seals for 8 years on our 177, it is 9+ years old, seals still look great, no cracking or fizzures seen. Also have used Protect-All all surface care for the same amount of time, although we only use it on our decals.  A boating friend recommended this as that was what he used on his decals.  We have not been disappointed.  Every spring I use clay bar over the whole trailer, including the roof and then apply MeGuiar's ultimate liquid wax (black bottle).  Have owned our 177 since March 2011 and the finish still appears nearly factory new. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by D&H

Anyone ever use GE 2+ silicone sealer instead of Dicor? I am having a heck of a time finding Dicor in Alaska and no one will ship it up...
Have you tried going to the Dicor site and seeing if you can order from there?

Also, did you check the other vendors on Amazon? Perhaps you could find one that would ship, However, I think that free shipping may be the issue. You may need to pay extra for the shipping. An alternate if you know someone in the lower 48 is to have him/her order it for you and then ship it to you once it arrives.

As for the difference, Leveling is used for horizontal surfaces, such as on the roof. It does not harden so it slowly flows and self-levels. Non-sag is for sloped or vertical surfaces because it does not run. If you use self-leveling on a vertical surface, it will drip out over time. Forest River used it on the awning and I get sealant drips beneath the awning that I need to take care of periodically. Non-sag would have been better.

Silicone sealant is not a good alternative. It is very difficult, if not impossible, to remove it completely if you need to remove and reinstall something. Also, it can't be painted. I have tried Lexel, which is a clear sealant. It seems to work okay. It is also paintable and mildew resistant.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 6:26pm
I'm a Lexel user. Never silicone.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 7:01pm
We've been using Aerospace 303 protectant on all exposed plastic & rubber seals since we've had our RP179. I put a little on a rag and wipe all the seals down two or three times a season.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>