R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camping with kids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRP-171 Sleeps A Family of 4?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
lostagain View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: RP-171 Sleeps A Family of 4?
    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 9:17am
Edward, we had a modified 172 in which we removed the bunks and raised and widened the lower bed, so it was effectively the same as a 171.  Our experience with taking grand children camping was that it is insanely crowded.  You may be able to accommodate sleeping for a while, until the kids get a little bigger, but that won't last long.  When you try to move around in the trailer with 4 people you will realize how crowded it really is.  And if it rains, and you're stuck inside...., well you get the point.

Your minivan is also really not adequate to tow a 171 with 4 passengers and all the stuff you'll need to bring along.  The trailer will weigh pretty close to 3300# by the time you add a battery, gas cylinder, and water, not to mention your clothes, food, and other supplies.  When you calculate your weight capacity with the mini-van, you need to look at the combined gross weight capacity of the vehicle, not just the towing capacity.  If you realistically calculate that weight, you'll probably find that you are at or over the limit.  Honestly, towing with a likely front wheel drive mini-van at or above its combined gross weight capacity is dangerous, especially in parts of the country where you will encounter high winds.

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 8:49am
Hi Edward, I have a 2016 172 for the same reasons you outline (my TV has the same capacities as yours). I'm sad to hear they aren't making it anymore because it's perfect for me. I'd worry about the weight of an added bunk but I wonder if you could remove the dinette altogether an add a lightweight bunk-bed frame. On the 172 there's nothing under than bottom bunk that would prevent this and the floor plan of the 171 looks like the dimensions are the same as my bunks.

FWIW Escape makes a model with a goucho bunk, which is basically a bunk that can be folded down into a couch.
Julie
Edward_Larkin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 11:55pm
Hi,

My wife and I are dangerously close to purchasing a new 2021 RP-171. This will be our very first travel trailer. But we have one remaining concern. We're a family of 4 with two young kids (4yr. old and 7yr. old.) We're thinking we will have them sleep on the dinette together. But we're worried (of course) about how sustainable this will be, long term. We'd like to hear about other podders experiences with camping a family of 4 in an RP-171.

And in case anyone is wondering why we're limiting ourselves to an RP-171, let me explain. We have a very modest tower. A minivan with a 3500 lbs. towing capacity (350 lbs. tongue weight.) Given that limitation, I think the RP-171 or RP-172 is really our only safe options. And sadly the RP-172, with it's pair of bunks, has been discontinued and is dealer stock only (DSO.) Given the national market for R-PODs, we haven't found an RP-172 for sale anywhere, new or used, and don't think we will (we've been watching for months.) So we're down to trying to make the RP-171 work.

Additionally, anyone have any ideas for mods to an RP-171 to help this sleeping situation? Maybe a homemade bunk over the dinette? Give me your ideas. I'm dying to know.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12