R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWestlake Tires - Event Date: 17 Jul 2020 - 30 Aug 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Westlake Tires
    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 1:24pm

The wear looks to be what the Tire Rack blog is calling "heel-to-toe wear."
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
frozebubba View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 12:59pm
I have the 15", load range C, Westlake "snow" tires on my 2016 RP171 HRE.  They have a single load rating of 1985 lb at 50 psi stamped on the tires.  I had to get them balanced right off the bat and have pulled it at max gross weight (3200 lb; 400 lb of this on the tongue) for about 18,000 miles at frequently checked 50 psi cold with no flats or tire failures.   I usually drive at 65mph if road conditions allow.  However, the tires have developed an odd wear pattern.  When I run my hand over the tread it is noticeably rough feeling.  The outside blocks tend to be taller on the front of the block (10 32nd's vs 6 32nd's, passenger side) but taller on the rear of the blocks (driver side)!  It's hard to get a reliable tread depth measurement because none of the adjacent blocks, outside, center or off-center are the same depth. Given the roughness, they are wearing evenly on outside compared to the inside but the small individual off-center blocks tend to be shorter than anything else.  The wear pattern makes no sense to me.  Has anyone else seen this odd wear pattern or have a suggestion as to the possible cause?  Tire shops just scratch their heads when I show them.  I was just figuring they were poorly designed cheap tires.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 5:50pm
+1.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 1:55pm
Consumer reports and NHTSA rate vehicle tires but I haven't seem ratings anywhere for trailer tires.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 11:30am
Are there any data bases that compare tires built around the world?  We make assumptions about quality that aren't necessarily factually based, often due to underlying biases and prejudices and with little actual personal knowledge.  Some people say Chinese tires are generally sub-standard, but does the data support such a claim or is it simply anti-Chinese bias?    

For myself, having been educated just enough in tire manufacturing when I defended some US tire companies, I prefer to stick to major brands, regardless of the location of manufacture for a specific tire.  The big brands have a vested interest in maintaining a reputation for quality that could be easily lost if they were to put their names on inferior products.  Though that is no guarantee of quality, it improves one's odds of getting tires that are safe and durable.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 11:12am
Originally posted by D-Pod

My ST235/75/R15 have a load range 2910# . It is a "D". Tires look good but always a concern about tires from China. Some tire "experts" suggest switching them out right away. Why take a chance.

That's certainly a personal choice you can make. For myself, I run Chinese 15 inch LRD's, keep them inflated properly, and am OK with it. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 11:05am
If they are load range D tires, you should be okay. Even the Carlisle LR-D 14" tires I now have on my RP179 are made in China. I would prefer made in the USA, but the Carlisles are doing okay overall. I did replace one that was wearing in a way I did not like. It looks like somewhere along the way it lost the balance weight and had some flat spots on the tread where the tire was wearing very unevenly. The replacement Carlisle tire is balanced.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
D-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 10:51am
My ST235/75/R15 have a load range 2910# . It is a "D". Tires look good but always a concern about tires from China. Some tire "experts" suggest switching them out right away. Why take a chance.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 10:12am
If they are the 15" Westlake tires as are used on the Hood River Edition models, then they have much higher rated load capacity than the 14" tires. The 15" Westlake tires on our HRE is 2430 lbs. Well above what is required for safety reasons.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 10:10am
My TPMS mounts on the tire valve, so the indication of temp is the air coming to that valve. It gives a trackable temp, I would think the heat it would not sense well is the hub, not the tire.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>