R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Sat antenna: No go when attached to outside coax
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSat antenna: No go when attached to outside coax

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sat antenna: No go when attached to outside coax
    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 9:20am
It appears that my new Winegard Carryout G3 will not receive power from the included power inserter (via the coax) when attached to the outside Cable/Sat coax hookup.  Winegard tech support confirms that this is an issue, thinking that it's due to the increased cable run when the internal coax length is added to the 25' that the unit comes with.  They apparently see this a lot.

Has anyone overcome this in their Pod?  If not, where do you run the cable?  Through the bedroom window?  Through the black tank and up through the commode Tongue?

I don't see a lot of discussion here about satellite TV so maybe everybody boondocks or otherwise uses their trailer as an escape Pod, but if anyone has figured this out I'd love to know.
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 9:28am
Is it possible to run a wire to provide the power separate from the coax cable? I don't have one of the Winegard antennas, so I don't know. If it allows separate power input, that might be viable without resorting to running it via some of the methods you suggested.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 9:29am
Originally posted by StephenH

Is it possible to run a wire to provide the power separate from the coax cable?...   

Interesting idea, but there are no other inputs to the dome other than for coax.
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 1:55pm
What about something like these:

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jimandclare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 2:02pm
Pod_GeeK how about this idea.  Watched a WeBoost cell signal signal booster video where WeBoost showed how to run the coax without drilling any holes.  Run your slide half way out and then feed the coax cable through the gap with the weather stripping.  Adjust your cable length and then open the slide all the way out.  Reverse the process when your done.
Jim & Clare
2016 R-pod 178
2014 Ford Edge
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by StephenH

What about something like these:

The OEM power inserter includes dip switches that direct the antenna to the correct satellites depending on the service that you use, so I don't think a 3rd-party unit would work.

Originally posted by jimandclare

Pod_GeeK how about this idea.  Watched a WeBoost cell signal signal booster video where WeBoost showed how to run the coax without drilling any holes.  Run your slide half way out and then feed the coax cable through the gap with the weather stripping.  Adjust your cable length and then open the slide all the way out.  Reverse the process when your done.

I have heard that folks do this...I'll see if it's a viable solution.  In the meantime I'm going in through the window via one of these guys:

2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 2:25pm
Anyone know if the coax in the newer R-Pods is the good stuff (RG6) or the mediocre stuff (RG59)??
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 4:26pm
When I bought my 2015 178, the sat cable didn't work. I pulled the outside cover and the cable had been pulled loose from the cable head. I repaired connections and it has since worked fine.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 6:17pm
I assume your power injector is currently INSIDE the r-pod. And I also assume it plugs into a 120v outlet.

Have you tried using it EXTERNALLY to the r-pod? Closer to the satellite antenna? Then run an electrical extension cord to the power injector where it is on the outside of the r-pod.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 11:02am
Originally posted by podwerkz

I assume your power injector is currently INSIDE the r-pod. And I also assume it plugs into a 120v outlet.

Have you tried using it EXTERNALLY to the r-pod? Closer to the satellite antenna? Then run an electrical extension cord to the power injector where it is on the outside of the r-pod.

No can do...power inserter not weatherproof, and besides has a short (3') coax connection to the receiver.

The good news is that I replaced the coax that runs from the ceiling connector with a 6' length of the good stuff (Monster solid copper 75 Ohm R6) and now the Winegard satellite dome sees the power inserter when the dome is connected to the Pod's outside connector and works fine with the 25' coax supplied with the antenna dome.  Yay.  Don't have to jury rig something to get the coax into the Pod.
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
 Post Reply Post Reply