R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAC broken

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC broken
    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 1:37pm
For some reason it looks like my AC unit is broken, somehow. I've tried doing a full re-set by unplugging all power, waiting, then plugging everything back in but that didn't seem to do anything.

when I go to turn the fan or AC on it just hums. So I know power is getting to it. But nothing turns on and no air gets blown anywhere. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 6:25pm
Sounds like the compressor is on but the fan is not on. It helps if you provide more info like:

This is brand new and its under warranty and I just bought it...

OR: This thing is 25 years old and its given us good service....what should we do?

OR: I just installed it, but I noticed it had shipping damage on one corner, and some wires were pulled out.

OR: Lightning hit the camper 2 days ago and now the A/C unit is humming....

You know, details matter. In other words, our random guesses can be less random if you give us a few more details surrounding this problem.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 8:40pm
There is another topic under "I Need Help." This needs to be merged with that topic.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Psychokitsune View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 1:48pm
Sorry about the lack of details. I have a new 2018 r-pod 179. So the A/C should only be 2 years old. It has been working fine until this. I recently took the top and bottoms pieces apart, cleaned everything, and re-assembled it but that didn't fix my problem either. 

A/C doesn't run in the day or at night so I know its not a temperature thing. I'm thinking it might be a capacitor, I've been watching tutorial videos so I'll be checking out whether that's the problem later today when I can get on the roof without burning myself.

Also, I have no idea how to merge posts.
Badweissenbier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 2:18pm
The fan should kick on first blowing air then the compressor.
If you turn it to fan mode only and it just hums. Good chance either the fan is fouled in place ie being held from turning or your capacitor went bad. Pretty Easy fix just be careful capacitors hold charge and can really shock you.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Psychokitsune

Sorry about the lack of details. I have a new 2018 r-pod 179. So the A/C should only be 2 years old. It has been working fine until this. I recently took the top and bottoms pieces apart, cleaned everything, and re-assembled it but that didn't fix my problem either. 

A/C doesn't run in the day or at night so I know its not a temperature thing. I'm thinking it might be a capacitor, I've been watching tutorial videos so I'll be checking out whether that's the problem later today when I can get on the roof without burning myself.

Also, I have no idea how to merge posts.

Thanks for the additional information. An administrator would need to merge the threads. I hope you can get it figured out. Let us know what you find out.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 4:18pm

All right. Got delayed by a week of rainstorms. finally got chance to check out the electric. Turned all the power off, unplugged the battery, and turned off all the fuses. I think my capacitor has gone bad as there is a zero reading on it. So I think I just need to get a new one, just don't know where to order one. Also think I'm going to install an Easy start 364. Been reading that they help with the power draw so that I don't just immediately short out the new capacitor.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 6:40pm
Looks like you are on the microamp setting on your meter. That won't tell you if the cap is bad, you need a meter that measures capacitance (measured in micro farads) Also, you need to take the cap out of the circuit when you test it, and short it out first because it holds a charge and can shock you or damage your meter. 

Is it the fan cap that you think has failed or the compressor start cap? Or is it the compressor run cap?

If its the compressor start cap then you don't need to worry about it if you're buying an easystart as you remove it anyway. If its the fan cap or the compressor run cap then the easiest way to replace it is to look at the label and get a replacement with the same capacitance, voltage rating, and physical size. They're pretty cheap so you might be better off just replacing them if you don't have access to a meter that can measure capacitance. If any are bulging or leaking then replace them. 

You can also call the easystart folks and discuss it with them, my experience with them was that they are really responsive and helpful. The easystart doesn't change anything related to the fan motor I don't think.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 7:59pm
Apparently this wasn't the issue! Cry

So I bought a new capacitor just in case and just finished installing both it and my new Easy Start. My A/C still doesn't work. I know I didn't mess up the wiring because its the same freaking problem that I started with: all I get is a humming motor. The fan isn't even running. I watched this time and it doesn't move even when I turn it on.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 9:15pm
Okay. The EasyStart will not fdo anything for the blower motor. It is for the compressor.If the fan motor is only humming when you turn it on, even with a new start capacitor, then the motor itself may have a seized bearing. Can you turn the blower motor fan by hand (with the power off for safety)? If not, then the bearing is bad or something is blocking the fan and keeping it from rotating. Given some other posts I have seen recently, check to see if there is anything obstructing the blower motor fan and preventing it from turning.If it rotates freely and is not rubbing against anything that could cause it to bind, then you will likely need someone with the ability to diagnose this problem.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>