R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNo power from Gfci

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: No power from Gfci
    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by richardb09

Great, where was your inverter located?

Not 100% sure because the dealer had to track it down.  They initially had no clue that there was a breaker on the inverter.  Since the inverter on/off switch is near the microwave I suspect it's in that area.  I would snoop around wherever your on/off switch is (recall that you have a 190 and I have a 195).
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
richardb09 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 4:09pm
The RP190 inverter switch is up above the breaker panel right when you come in the door.  So I'll start in the break panel area.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 7:01pm
Thanks Pod_Geek.  Found the inverter behind a panel on the left where the outdoor kitchen slides in, 12amp breaker was popped.  Smile
Badweissenbier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 8:07pm
Looking on my phone so I may have missed the answer. My apologies if I did.

A GFCI will not reset unless there is power to it. If your not plugged in to shore power or a generator it won’t reset.

Ie if you unplugged your trailer from shore power(110v) you can push the reset all you want it won’t do anything.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 8:24pm
The inverter had tripped it's built in 12amp breaker cutting power to the GFCI outlet.  Once the breaker on the inverter was reset I could reset the GFCI outlet. The hardest part was finding the inverter.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 6:20am
Just learning how the new rPods with the inverter option are wired. Let me try to summarize, any of y'all who have one can confirm or correct me.

Inverter is rated at 1kW continuous output.
Inverter has an internal automatic transfer switch for shore power.
Circuit breaker for transfer switch is 12A
Therefore, the inverter circuit is limited to 12A on shore power and 8A (1000 watts/120V) in inverter mode.

All receptacles in trailer are on the inverter circuit.
Outside receptacle is on the inverter circuit.
Microwave is not on the inverter circuit.
Air conditioner and water heater ac heating element are not on the inverter circuit.

Do I have that right?

Does the ac panel have a dedicated circuit breaker which supplies the inverter transfer circuit?
Are there any other circuit breakers located between the inverter and the receptacles? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by offgrid

Just learning how the new rPods with the inverter option are wired. Let me try to summarize, any of y'all who have one can confirm or correct me.

Inverter is rated at 1kW continuous output. [Rated at 1000W, yes.  Continuous...assume so]
Inverter has an internal automatic transfer switch for shore power. [Not sure that it isn't a simple pass-through, but don't really know...need enlightenment here]
Circuit breaker for transfer switch is 12A [Might be simply for any current passing through]
Therefore, the inverter circuit is limited to 12A on shore power [Correct] and 8A (1000 watts/120V) in inverter mode. [Assume so]

All receptacles in trailer are on the inverter circuit. [Yes on my 195]
Outside receptacle is on the inverter circuit. [Yes on my 195]
Microwave is not on the inverter circuit. [Correct on my 195]
Air conditioner and water heater ac heating element are not on the inverter circuit. [Almost certainly not on my 195]

Do I have that right?

Does the ac panel have a dedicated circuit breaker which supplies the inverter transfer circuit? [Don't know]
Are there any other circuit breakers located between the inverter and the receptacles? [Don't know]
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 12:55pm
Thanks, that info might be very handy for others in the future.

Re transfer switch vs pass through, either the grid or the inverter has to be creating the 60 cycle ac waveform. If you are running on the inverter and the shore power is off then the inverter is doing it. If the shore power is on the grid is doing it. Some inverters are designed to synchronize with the grid when it is on so they can run in parallel with it, but I doubt FR uses one of those because they are pretty expensive. An automatic transfer switch is cheaper but that means that when you are on shore power the inverter is shut off. 

If there was a circuit breaker for the inverter ac transfer switch it would hopefully be in the panel and labelled that way. I doubt that there is a breaker in the panel for the inverter output because normally all circuit breakers are connected together on the input side which would connect the inverter and shore power together bypassing the transfer switch, which would not be good. But I suppose it is possible FR did something to allow them to do that. If there is a breaker in the panel labelled for the trailer receptacles that would be a good hint. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 1:21pm
2021 RP-190 inverter (WFCO model WF-5110R)

Breaker 1 - 30 amp Main
Breaker 2 - 20 amp Air Conditioner
Breaker 3 - 15 amp Water Heater
Breaker 4 - 15 map Microwave
Breaker 5  - 15 amp GFCI, Refrigerator (did not seem to trip when inverter 12 amp tripped)
Breaker 6 - 15 amp Converter

There is not a breaker labeled specifically Inverter

2020 RP-190 inverter (WFCO model WF-5110R)

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 1:28pm
Hmmm. Possibly breaker 5 is supplying shore power to both the inverter transfer switch (and therefore the GFCI receptacles) and the fridge ac element. With shore power on you could try shutting off that breaker and see if that causes the inverter to come on to feed the receptacles. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>