Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew 179 Owners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 179 Owners
    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 5:07pm
Greetings!  My wife and I are new to rpods, but not to RVs.  We're downsizing from a nearly 30' Salem bunkhouse bumper pull.  We're loving the smaller, more manageable size.  We've spent time as professional organizers, so we're enjoying equipping the pod just for us.

I bought a 2017.5 (blue) 179 from my brother.  He used the trailer to camp throughout Florida and the Southeast, but thinks he wants a 5th wheel.  He also made several, very cool mods: fans to help the fridge cool, a shelf over the bed, and a tongue mounted storage tray.  

My wife and I are going to introduce the pod to Arkansas camping -- state parks, the lakes and national forests.  Our camping trips are usually 3-5 day, impromptu adventures that come when family and life permit.  The smaller pod will be great for these.  

We're also hoping for some longer trips in the future, particularly for things like the Bourbon trail and craft beer festivals.  I've already added a generator box the front to make boon docking and festivals more fun -- it's hot in Arkansas for half the year.  

We hope to everyone down the road!
Stuart
2017.5 rpod 179/2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 5:18pm
Welcome to the forum.  Enjoy your R-pod.
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 5:35pm
Welcome. 

Interesting mod. Are you planning to leave the genny in the box while running it or placing it on the ground? If in the box, how is the noise and vibration and how well does it work to keep the generator from overheating? 

Do they let you run the generator overnight at the festivals? Most campgrounds don't, but maybe the festival goers have imbibed enough that they don't notice the noise. LOL

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 5:38pm
Welcome and congratulations! I hope you have many fun adventures and make many great memories with your RPod. We also have a 179, albeit, the 2016 model. I also have made many modifications (see link in signature) to help make the RPod uniquely ours and more suited to our needs. It is a great model for travel.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 9:13am
congratulations and welcome. We also have had a 179 for about 3 years and love it. It is a great camper for 2 people and has lots of possibilities for modifications. However, one word of caution-watch our tongue weight. It looks like you have a double propane tank and the added storage box already on the tongue. if you add a generator, you probably will be overweight on the tongue.  check you hitch max weight and be careful
Safe travels
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
zzlay View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Pod People

congratulations and welcome. We also have had a 179 for about 3 years and love it. It is a great camper for 2 people and has lots of possibilities for modifications. However, one word of caution-watch our tongue weight. It looks like you have a double propane tank and the added storage box already on the tongue. if you add a generator, you probably will be overweight on the tongue.  check you hitch max weight and be careful
Safe travels
Vann

Thanks for the welcome.  Right now I only have a single propane tank and a single battery on the tongue.  I'm not greatly concerned about tongue weight -- my tow is a 3/4 ton diesel truck I bought for a much larger, heavier bunk house trailer (truck limits are 1000lbs tongue weight on the class IV receiver and 10,000lbs trailer weight).  Still, first my outing will include a stop at a CAT scale to get the all-important weights.  

With our larger trailer, everything for our campsite fit in the exterior storage compartments in the trailer.  Now, I'm discovering how much will need to travel in the bed of the truck.  We're getting this sorted out.  I'll post with my weight tickets.
Stuart
2017.5 rpod 179/2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
 Post Reply Post Reply