R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFridge not cooling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fridge not cooling
    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by marwayne

Jato, Cleaned up the fridge outside and turned it on, went from 23* C to 6* C in about 4 hours on LP

That was the good news as the next day the fridge temp went up to 57 during the daytime with outside temperature at 95.  Fridge was in the shade, facing north.  Had my son with grandkids up for the weekend.  He had to show off his new 25' speedboat so we spent most of the weekend tooling around on Torch Lake, plenty to see on a lake that is over 19 miles long. 

Now that they left I can get back to business.  I took off propane lines and blew them out from the regulator to the combustion chamber.  Let the combustion chamber part sit in mineral spirits for 20 minutes and blew out with compressed air.  Then did another stint with WD 40 soaking it well, letting it sit for 10 minutes and then blew that out.  Assembled everything and fired up about 1 hour ago.  Outside temp is 84, fridge temp has dropped from 86 to 83.  Will see if anything improves after all this fussing, which I rather do than purchase a new fridge!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 10:07pm
Was I correct in that there was likely a lot of oily liquid in the propane line? When I used compressed air, I did so at the refrigerator end and the regulator end was where the residue came out.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 4:50am
When I opened the lines, nothing came out, lines were very clean and dry.  The only part I have not messed with at this point is the area between where the rubber propane line ends and the small metal propane line which leads the the combustion chamber begins.  There are 2 fixtures in between located there.  The first is a rectangular object measuring 1" tall by 1/2" wide by 1/2" deep with a brass/gold colored nut on one side.  The next is about 2 inches wide by 1.5" tall and cylinder shaped with 3 black electrical wires leading to it.  I didn't poke into those two objects only because the line from the regulator was dry and the small metal line coming out of it (attached by a 7/16" nut) was dry also.  It is now 5:45 am, outside temperature is 68 and fridge temp. is 41.
God's pod
'11 model 177
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 9:00am
One other thing that could be happening is that the pressure of the system might be low. If I recall correctly, the pressure should be 11" water column. I've seen instructions on how to make a tester. There is a small threaded port in the junction where the flexible hose ends that has a plug in it. That could be used to attach a tester.

You could try replacing your regulator and see if that makes a difference. They can go bad over time and not allow the proper pressure.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 9:37am
Thanks Stephen.  Never thought about a faulty regulator.  The one I have is the original from January 2011.  IF the regulator is bad wouldn't I see a problem running the burners on the stove or a lack of heat when the furnace runs?  Also is there any way to check or test the regulator to see if it is in proper working order?

Update on fridge temp.  This morning at 6:45 fridge temp got to 37, fantastic.  However now it is 10:30 am and it now reads 39.  However I also have a thermometer sitting a few inches from the refrigerator lower grill in the direct sunlight and it is reading 98 so hopefully that is why the temperature is rising.  In a couple hours the sun will be far enough south so the fridge side will be totally in the shade for the duration of the day.
God's pod
'11 model 177
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 9:50am
If it got down to 37, then it is likely working well. The only way I know of to check the regulator is to do a pressure test. You could purchase one from Amazon or make one. The site linked below talks about making one. The actual instructions are linked within the page.

Edit: This is the link for how to build a manometer:

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 10:10am
Any chance that the fridge works well when it's level and doesn't work so well when it's tilted?

As mentioned, gravity is critical to the RV refrigeration process. Without it the ammonia liquid will not properly flow to the evaporator coils to cool the refrigerator. Having your rig off level not only disrupts the proper flow of the ammonia, but it also allows ammonia crystals to form inside the refrigerator’s tubing. Over time, these crystals accumulate until flow is restricted or blocked. The problem with these crystals is that no amount of vibration will cause them to dissolve–they are permanent–like plaque inside our arteries.

2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 10:32am
From previous posts, it seems as if the 'Pod is level enough. It works on 120V just fine. It is the propane side which has been a problem. That is why my replies have been on how to check that subsystem.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 10:45am
Originally posted by StephenH

From previous posts, it seems as if the 'Pod is level enough. It works on 120V just fine. It is the propane side which has been a problem. That is why my replies have been on how to check that subsystem.

Oh yeah...minor detail.

Well, at least my post may function as a public service announcement to folks who may not have realized how important a level RV is to fridge function...
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 1:04pm
Yes, we are level, thanks for bringing up an often overlooked major point.  Just got in from mowing our 3 hour yard.  Checked the inside fridge temp and it read 53!  NO!  Went out to check and saw the lights all blinking, that was a good thing, ran out of propane.  So now it is switched over (about a 1 minute job) and now I will have to wait to see how this pans out over the next couple days.
God's pod
'11 model 177
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>