R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnderbelly wet!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Underbelly wet!!!!
    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 5:18pm
I am freaking out, thank you in advance for any help! We just bought a 15 178 from a private owner and just discovered there must have been a leak. We can not locate the leak yet... we noticed it when it started dripping from around the low point drain when I was putzing around to find out why the water pump wasn’t consistently pumping. I removed the foam around the drain and tore some of the underlayment and realized the whole area was wet and the wood was like mush. The whole floor isn’t like mush, just that area and the surrounding area. I pulled enough underlayment to find the whole underbelly was to some extent wet. We started removing the black cover to let the wood dry out. There are not any soft spots inside the camper. We still can’t find where the leak is coming from. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!!!
Pictures
2015 Rpod 178
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 6:08pm
I have a 2015 178. I discovered I had a wet underbelly when installing back up lights at rear of trailer. Probably the last 6-8 inches of the bottom of the floor. First thing I did was move the trailer inside and start a drying process, I didn't remove anything. Secondly I sealed the spoiler with eternabond tape. I kept the trailer out of the weather all the winter months. I moved it outside, and monitored the floor are for wet, near all the water sources, it stayed dry. One thing I noticed was the protective black undercoating holds water in, there is no way for water to drain from the floor. The floor is dry, so it appears the spoiler was culprit in my case. I could test it with an awl and find wet areas. Once I penatrated the black covering, if it was wet I'd get a drop of water. For me it was a matter of getting it dry and then trying to figure out what would make it wet. I wasn't ready to just quit and get rid of the camper until I tried to fix it.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Cocared View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 6:23pm
Thank you, it does look as though the previous owner beefed up the caulking around the spoiler. We are in the process of trying to dry it out now, we just have to do it outside though. Rpod won’t fit in our garage. So you left the black underlayment on? We were thinking of replacing it with something better, still researching though. Still trying to find leak too🤷🏻‍♀️
2015 Rpod 178
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 6:33pm
For me, it was easier to see if floor was wet with ice pick or awl versus remove the coating. Since I dried I have replaced some undercoating. Weird as it sounds, I was trying to figure how water would get from top to bottom without wetness on inside or top of floor. That's when I went to spoiler leak. In my case only the bottom was wet, the inside was dry and stable.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Cocared View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 8:23pm
The more we look at it, we think it’s coming in from the diamond Plate on the slide out side of the camper. We think that because there is one little spot from where the ac trickles down that isn’t sitting flushes. But would that make the entire underneath of the camper wet? The inside of the camper still looks good, but pushing above the plate from the outside has a little give in it. Thank you so much for your help!
2015 Rpod 178
Junkinpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 8:50pm
Following .... I have a prior post on wet floor that is sagging on a 2014 182g, along the side with the slide out.  (from the slide side to the rear of the trailer has dropped 1-2 ") Good luck with your repair.

Belinda
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 7:13am
Cocared,

Is there any sag in the floor at the diamond plate? I have had a leak at front of trailer there.
Mike Carter
2015 178
EmptyNesters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 2:47pm
For the 178, I would suggest you remove the mattress, just fold it in half and muscle it over to the table side. Remove the screws from the plywood decking under the mattress and check all the water connections that are under it next to the heater. I found a leak on the inside for the city water hook up. Even if you never use the city hook up there is water pressure on the inside whenever the pump is on, and when you’re traveling with any water in the tank it can leak out of those water fittings.
Cocared View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 9:40am
We just checked and there is not a sag in there.
2015 Rpod 178
Cocared View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 9:40am
I will check that today too, thank you!
2015 Rpod 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>