R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHitch ball mount question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hitch ball mount question
    Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 6:39pm
I am currently using a hitch ball mount assembly which came with a previously owned 28-foot 8000 lb + Rockwood trailer.  I am now pulling  an Rpod 181G, and I think my setup is overkill.  For one thing, it is very heavy - I can still lift it, but I'm not getting any younger.  It is also one of the adjustable-height units, which I don't think I need.  I like to remove it whenever I'm not towing, even when at a campground (I keep banging my knees and shins on it).  I am considering purchasing a lighter weight unit, but I am wondering how changing the length of the shank (distance from the receiver to the ball) will affect towing.  Most of the ball mounts I've looked at are considerably shorter than what I am now using.  Is is better to have a shorter or longer shank?

I'm thinking I could reduce my hitch weight by about 40 pounds with a simpler setup, allowing me carry more cargo instead.

Any suggestions?
Miriam and Doug
2015 Rpod 181G
Silverado 1500
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 8:24pm
Look at the Andersen No-Sway hitch. It is probably the lightest weight distribution with sway control hitch available that I know of. Another option would be to go with a regular ball hitch if the suspension of the Silverado is up to it and go with a Hayes Sway-Master electronic sway control or some other brand of electronic sway control. You could team that with a simple weight distribution hitch if that would save any weight, but I don't know if it would.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 5:36am
To answer your original question, with a standard hitch the shorter the distance between the receiver and the ball the better because that will shorten the lever arm between the trailer hitch and the tow vehicle rear axle. That lever is trying to rotate the front of your TV upwards, which is putting less weight on the front axle and more on the rear. 

Doesn't sound like you're using a weight distribution hitch. which would change things a bit because those more than compensate for their longer ball to receiver distance by creating a downward counter rotating torque on the front of the TV.  
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Mirado View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 7:21am
My existing hitch is a WDH system, but I don't use the spring bars because they are too long and large for the rpod - I needed them with the former trailer.   But that's why I have this large and heavy hitch.  I've read all the discussions about WDH systems, but after pulling the bigger trailer, the rpod was such a breeze to tow I felt I didn't need it. My Silverado is rated for 11,000 pounds towing.   I've towed the rpod over 10,000 miles so far and I feel comfortable with it as is.  Meanwhile, I'll not worry too much about the ball mount length and shop for something that I'll still be able to lift in a few years.  Thanks for your input.
Miriam and Doug
2015 Rpod 181G
Silverado 1500
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 12:41pm
If you're OK without a WDH (and the Silverado should be able to deal with it), then just figure out what amount of drop you need, and get a conventional hitch/ball. Shorter will be better (and without the WDH, it will be lighter).
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 1:01pm
Walmart is ready when you are!!!  Big smile
John
'16 R-Pod 180
 Post Reply Post Reply