R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStandard equipment when taking delivery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Standard equipment when taking delivery
    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 12:27am
Hello,

My wife and I just purchased a new 2021 196.  We are scheduled to take delivery this Saturday.  I will download a generic pre-delivery checklist, but I am wondering what standard equipment should come with the R-Pod.  As it sat on the lot, there was no user manual, battery, sink cover, tv remote, end caps on the bumper, dump hose, black water flush hose, clean water hose, or outside spray hose.  
Can I assume all of these things were set aside and should be provided?  Am I forgetting anything important?  Thanks!  Happy to join to R-Pod family.

Nate
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 7:21am
Don't assume. Let the dealer know in advance what you expect to see when you go pick up the trailer.

You won't get a manual, there is none. Re the battery, this is a dealer installed item. Typically you get one 12V battery.  If you are going to camp without hookups you should request dual batteries. 2 6V golf cart (GC2) batts are the largest that will fit. The dealer will expect to be compensated for the difference in price of course. Note that this will increase your tongue weight by about 70-80 lbs.

You don't mention your tow vehicle or previous towing experience but you will need a brake controller and probably a weight distribution hitch. 

You should do a prepurchase inspection, there are usually workmanship issues on these trailers as they come from the factory. someone here will provide you a link to a checklist, I don't have one handy. 

Have fun!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
NateB View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 7:40am
Thanks for the reply! My tow vehicle is a 2017 Porsche Cayenne. I just installed a Teconsha P3 brake controller. I have an Andersen WD hitch on order. I don’t have a lot of towing experience, but I will make sure to get the tongue weight in the appropriate range, and keep speeds reasonable. I had a Sprinter camper van for many years, so I am comfortable moving a lot of weight.

Thanks again,

Nate
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 8:15am
I looked up the Cayenne. Great tow rating at 7700 lbs. You should be fine, even with the extra battery if you decide to go that route. Just spend some time getting the wdh and brake controller set up correctly, and practice some backing in a quiet parking lot, you should be good to go!

Have fun!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 8:43am
Originally posted by NateB

Hello,

My wife and I just purchased a new 2021 196.  We are scheduled to take delivery this Saturday.  I will download a generic pre-delivery checklist, but I am wondering what standard equipment should come with the R-Pod.  As it sat on the lot, there was no user manual, battery, sink cover, tv remote, end caps on the bumper, dump hose, black water flush hose, clean water hose, or outside spray hose.  
Can I assume all of these things were set aside and should be provided?  Am I forgetting anything important?  Thanks!  Happy to join to R-Pod family.

Nate
You can expect to get the battery, sink cover, tv remote, end caps on the bumper, and the outside spray hose, with the camper. Some dealers give you a "starter kit" that usually contains a few cheap items. My dealer gave us a 50 dollar credit to buy things in their store. It doesn't go far. In the walk thru, have them show you everything, ask them to show you what is behind the panels, under the fridge, in the pantry, in the bathroom. Have them show you where the water pump is. You will need to know all those things after you leave, so find out on the walk thru. I always recommend new tires, Load Range  E, a hardwired EMS, and a water pressure regulator, before doing anything. Theres alot more, but that's a good start. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
NateB View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 9:12am
Thanks for the great advice!
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 9:26am
Don't worry too much about the starter stuff you get.  It will be a work in progress for at least one camping season, probably more.  Depending on your camping style, you'll realize what you'd like to have to make your experience more fun and stress free.  

I agree with what others have said in prior posts.  As mjlrpod said, be sure to get your dealer to do a really thorough walk through so you know how all the basic systems work.  Enjoy your new travel trailer!
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 2:20pm
I would list the following as a BARE minimum of equipment to get you started:
10' Sewer hose with 90 degree end and storage tube
black tank treatment
disposable gloves
hand sanitizer
power cord for the R Pod
surge protector
30amp to 15 amp adapter
25' white drinking water hose
water filter
water pressure reduction valve
4 wheel chocks
minimum of 4 blocks for stabilizers
crank arm for stabilizers
jack for the trailer to change tires
lug wrench that fits the trailer's lug nuts
air pressure gauge that reads at least to 65psi
extra 7.5,15,20 amp blade style fuses
long nose lighter for stove
thermometer for the refrigerator
single ply toilet paper
quality weight distribution hitch
7 pin electrical connection on your tow vehicle
there are lots more things you can eventually add to your collection, but these items will get you going for your first trip
congratulations on your purchase-enjoy
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
NateB View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 2:30pm
There are a few on this list I had missed. Thanks!
Capt Kidd View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 3:17pm

I found the storage under the end of the bed hard to use so I had a set of drawers made to take their place.  Now I can get to my stuff without having to lift the end of the bed.

The Pirate's Pod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>