R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKitchen sink fell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kitchen sink fell
    Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by mcarter

I have a 2015 178. I have a top mount, porcelain sink, it is secured like a normal sink, from underneath and on countertop.
Porcelain or plastic? Our 179 which is a 2016 model built in 2015 came with a plastic top-mount sink that was tiny. Now I have a top-mount stainless steel sink.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by LongRanger

Originally posted by offgrid

Even with the clips I doubt it will hold. The counter material is fibreboard I believe. Nothing will hold in that junk for long, and if/when it gets wet, forget it. Surface mount makes infinitely more sense, not only will the sink stay put but you can seal the edge so water doesn't get in there. If you really have to have an undermount sink, change out the counter for some real wood or other better quality material. 

Looking at the way they toe nailed the sink in with those tiny screws, it's no wonder it fell off. I'm curious if this is the way others are mounted (and thus the norm) or if mine is just an anomaly done by some guy who was late for lunch. I know one other person replied that his is the same. 

You're not the first one to have an undercounter sink in an rpod fall down. There have been multiple instances. So, I think its the normal practice at FR. You can't develop any reliable pull out strength in fiberboard, no matter what size screw you use. The material has no ability to take tension stress, it just pulls apart, plus it swells to 2x it size when it gets wet.  The older models are surface mounts so don't have that problem. Under mount sinks seem to be the latest fad in home kitchens so FR is trying to imitate that in their trailers but using the wrong materials. Some new things aren't better. This is one of them. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 2:16pm
SH - it is tiny and could very well be plastic, but it's not falling in :)
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 7:41pm
  With our 2009 r-pod and our 2012 Vibe one of the first things I did was replace the kitchen mdf counter tops with Baltic Birch plywood and the plastic sinks with larger stainless steel sinks. Thankfully our Vista was built with a plywood counter top and just replaced the plastic sink with a larger stainless steel sink. Still liked some of the construction in our 2009 r-pod the entire dinette was framed with quality hardwood something they changed in the later years building the r-pods.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

LongRanger View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by David and Danette

With our 2009 r-pod and our 2012 Vibe one of the first things I did was replace the kitchen mdf counter tops with Baltic Birch plywood and the plastic sinks with larger stainless steel sinks. Thankfully our Vista was built with a plywood counter top and just replaced the plastic sink with a larger stainless steel sink. Still liked some of the construction in our 2009 r-pod the entire dinette was framed with quality hardwood something they changed in the later years building the r-pods.

I wouldn't even know where to begin with replacing counter tops. You all have some mad skills!
New92 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 3:49pm
The sink in our 192 fell out also.  Only 3rd weeend out.  Thank goodness it wasn’t full of water (just dishes).  Like you I was amazed at the inadequate fasteners just barely hanging onto the sink lip.  How much more would have cost if they simply added a washer on each screw! (sorry my disappointment is oozing out (;
I put some construction adhesive along the sink lip then used course thread screws with wide washers.  Due to the tight access I used a 6” long drill bit, and it snuggled it up nice.  Going to put a bead of clear silicone around the sink edge (192 has under counter sink)
Most important thing... I impressed my wife with the repair🤪

We will see how well it holds up.  Going on the road for 3 weeks this month...fingers crossed.

by the way... love my 192!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12