R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOverzealous smoke detector - Event Date: 20 Jun 2020 - 20 Jun 2021

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Overzealous smoke detector
    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 12:18pm
In our 2017 HRE, the smoke detector loves doing its job and we love that it does.  BUT, cooking in the rPod is just about impossible without windows open and throne room fan exhaust running and even then, the alarm gets excited. For example, cooking 1 little brookie (tough day on the stream) with couple of window open and fan running still sets the beeping off. Waive a paper plate at it and it stops, but within 30 seconds it goes off again. Before saying we’re burning the fish, this happens cooking veggies, kielbasa, etc., so it’s not an issue of burning but generally cooking anything hotter than boiling water. Another example, making rue for a cheese sauce sets it off. Other have this experience? Defective alarm? Our thoughts are to rubber band some plastic wrap around the unit while cooking and remove when done.
Bob
2015 Chevy Colorado Z71
2018 178 R-pod Hood River Edition
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 1:39pm
Mine has thrown nuisance alarms too but generally not with the fan on and windows open. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 3:05pm
Honey, dinner will be ready when the smoke alarm goes off. LOL

Seriously, I relocated the smoke detector in our 179 from near the kitchen end to near the bed in the hopes that it would reduce some of the unneeded alarms from cooking. I actually mounted it on the slide-out wall. I still need to take it down when cooking anything other than boiling water. Any smoke at all will still set it off. Some people put a cover over it while cooking. Both taking it down and putting a cover over it defeats the purpose of having it, but that is only if it is not put back up or the cover removed after the cooking is done and the air clears. The main reason I want one is if something happened at night while we are sleeping. During the day, I do not find it useful if it is going off while my wife or I am trying to cook something. We are awake and there to spot any trouble anyway.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply