R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInverter Installation Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inverter Installation Help
    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 12:31pm
This is so helpful guys, thank you. So what I think I'll do is take the black and red wire from the stereo and connect them to these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QDQRD8X/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_z1p6Eb63GGB3N
Mount them where the stereo is which is right near my exsisting tv outlet.

Then get this to plug into the above outlets for my tv and computer and whatever 110v things that arent over 300w. I could probably get away with a 150w inverter though to save more battery while running the inverter but this 300w seems to be the smallest pure sine wave they have. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KQ4Q2L5/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_c6p6Eb83JCEM9
Do you think this is the best way to go? Other inverter options or advice? Thank you thank you thank you!
Sage
2019 Forest River R-pod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 1:21pm
I would check the voltage and polarity between those black and red wires with a voltmeter before connecting them but otherwise that should work. Never assume the guy who wired it got it right. 

Personally I would (and did) swap TV's for a dual voltage one and keep the inverter only for occasional use for other loads but that's me. If you ever fully loaded that 300 watt inverter it would draw about 30A and blow the fuse back at the panel so keep the loads down and bring a spare fuse just in case. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 6:25pm
I added a small inverter to our 179 for charging laptops, phones and camera batteries. I connected the inverter directly to the battery with an appropriate fuse in between. The inverter is under the bed next to the water heater/water pump, so is about 3 feet from the batteries. The inverter is manufactured  to run constantly, and makes a soft whirring sound. I installed an inline switch to enable me to turn the inverter on/off as needed. I installed 2 120v outlets that are connected to the inverter by use of regular romex cable with a male plug on the end to connect to the female receptacles on the inverter. I used brown outlets, outlet plates and switches so as not to be confused with the existing shore powered outlets outlets(white).  I also added a cigarette lighter type 12v outlet at the same time. You can see the brown inverter switch , the brown 120v outlet, the white shore powered 120v outlet and the 12v cigarette lighter outlet in this picture. the white 120v shore powered outlet has a cord attached that goes to a small power strip that is located at the foot of the slideout.

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 7:03pm
Nice job, I like the colored receptacle idea. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 12:42pm
I think you should be looking at an inverter/charger at about 3000 watts and maybe tripling (or more) your PV panels, if you want to go off-grid.  The Inverter/charger must exclude the A/C (it needs a generator or shore power).  It will run the microwave, but not the convection oven part.   Then there is the battery bank, ......
I'd start here:
https://www.wholesalesolar.com/solar-information/offgrid-calculator

John
'16 R-Pod 180
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12