R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2020 195 HELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2020 195 HELP
    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 9:47am
We just bought our first Rpod! Decided on the 195 for the space, full size fridge and dry bath. Now we are looking for some accessories! I have been looking at the Classic Accessories PolyPRO 3 Model 4... but it doesn't specifically say it will cover a 195. Some merchant listings confirm it will fit a 190, other listings don't mention this size at all. Any insight? 
Also looking at generators. Of course Honda is the go to, however I am leaning towards the school of thought to buy ONE generator, large enough to handle all the appliances, etc. For example- the Champion 3400-Watt Portable Inverter. I know it's large and heavy, but aside from physical characteristics, do any of you seasoned users know if this has the juice for the job? 

Thanks Smile
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 10:16am
Depends what you mean by running all the appliances. 3.4kw ought to be fine as long as you're not trying to start the a/c with the microwave already running, that's likely to be too much. Also, leave the water heater on propane, not on the 120Vac element. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Astang View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 10:43am
Noted, thanks! The fridge should be on propane as well? Is there a difference in performance for the appliances when on propane versus electric?
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 11:29am
I prefer running fridge and h/w on propane, they seem to work better. But I will normally use electric because it's included in the price of the site. Why pay for electric and use propane. But with a genny, I run everything on propane. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 11:51am
Along the lines of propane and the 195/196...has anyone investigated whether those pods will accept a 30-pound tank?
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 12:48pm
+1 to mjlrod. Propane for everything you can while boondocking. Run lights, fan, and entertainment on 12V during quiet hours. Save the genny for battery recharging (or get solar) and for running the a/c and micro. Note that most campgrounds restrict generator use to limited times, so you will not be able to use your a/c or microwave in most campgrounds without hookups at night. Even when you can use the generator, good campground etiquette would be not to run it all day long. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 6:19pm
I'm not a fan of PolyPRO 3.  Ours only made it only two seasons.  The material on the top dried out and disintegrated like newspaper left in the sun.  The sides were fine,  I'm thankful that Classic is replacing it.   
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
Astang View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 11:30pm
Thanks everyone! Any advice on upgrading to a two propane system?
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 10:39am
I recently upgraded the LP tanks on our 179 to a dual-tank setup. That was facilitated by ditching the heavy Pb-Acid batteries and going with a LiFePO4 battery mounted inside. That gave me room on the tongue to mount the dual tank holder. If you are only running the refrigerator, stove, and water heater, a single tank will last quite a while. You can carry a spare tank. I think you would be good to replace the 20lb tank with a 30lb tank, but you would need a new cover if you want to use one. The biggest use of LP gas is the furnace, especially if you are out in freezing temperatures.

You can check out my mods if you would like to see what I did.

Also, Welcome and congratulations! I hope you have many fun adventures and make many great memories with your RPod.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Astang View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 11:02am
Thanks Stephen. Can you advise which bracket and tray set up you used for the dual tanks?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>