R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWindow Seals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Window Seals
    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 9:45am
So, on our "test" camping trip we did, we noticed a LOT of mosquitoes were getting into the trailer.  Actually turned into a sleepless night of bug killing and blood sucking.  Looked like a murder scene the next morning...Shocked

Anyways, I think I see where they are getting in....the seals on all the windows look like they have shrunk over the years, and when you open the window all the way, this creates a gap in the corners...any bugs crawling on the screen can get in on the top or bottom corner.

I think leaving the glass closed about 1" will solve the problem temporarily (the round corners on the glass creates the gap) but are those seals replaceable?

Grant
2011 R-Pod 177
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 9:58am
Fill the gaps with a little bit of sealant? Dow makes a black, rubbery sealant that stays flexible and seems to work quite well. I'll have to go get the tube to post the information since I don't have it here with me.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Grant177 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 10:39am
Would the RV place have the sealant?  I have to pop by there later anyways.  How would you apply the sealant without sticking to the glass?  Any ideas?  Or perhaps apply it, and then slide a razor blade underneath afterwards to cut the bond?
Grant
2011 R-Pod 177
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 10:42am
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 2:01pm
Hi Grant, I have the same year and model pod as you.  Very early on, I encountered the same issues of mosquitoes getting inside our 177.  Was almost ready to get a transfusion after losing so much blood to those thristy critters in the UP of Michigan.  Our problem was with the slide.  Looking under the slide in the middle is the metal rod with teeth and a rubber piece on either side.  Problem was that those 2 pieces of rubber didn't accomplish much keeping bugs out, there was easily a 1" gap on each side, allowing easy access to the mosquitoes.  Easy solution was to stuff an old undershirt in that area to block off/close the opening.  No problems since then.  My only fear is one day I may forget to take it out before bringing the slide in, that would be a messy situation.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Grant177 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 10:33am
Thanks Jato.

Yes, we noticed under the slide 2-3 locations where the large rubber seal just does not completely close against all the mechanical pieces under there.

I had placed numerous j-cloths under there to block the larger areas, but next time, I'm doing that, plus a little gorilla tape as well as there were a couple other smaller gaps too.

I am 90% sure it was the windows....I could easily see when I opened the windows right to the hard limit, it left a significant gap near the corners....any critters crawling around the screen would be likely to find it and get it.

So, hopefully, between leaving the windows open at 90%, the polyurethane (I applied yesterday) etc. the bug problem will go away.
Grant
2011 R-Pod 177
Woodmiester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 11:06am
They make a very tough electrical tape in many widths that they use for electrical connections on cell phone towers.  I don't know who makes it, but it is unbelievably strong, sticky and resilient.

I keep a couple of rolls in the Pod for situations such as these.  I have even made some seals with this stuff and has lasted for years.   For the bottom of the slide, I cut 2 small pieces of rubber (from a spatula) encased it in this tape then taped it to the existing seal beneath the slide out.  Been in place for about 3 years now.
Swampfox
Grant177 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 11:28am
Thanks Woodmiester.

I started using Gorilla tape a few years back and now swear by the stuff.  It's incredible.   

I repaired a plastic garbage can that had split with it about 3 years ago, and it still holds it perfectly, along with a lawn mower handle and other miscellaneous items.  Think I'll be using up a roll or two under the slide perhaps! Smile

Grant
2011 R-Pod 177
Grant177 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 5:17pm
So, thanks for the polyurethane tip.  

I pushed the seal right up to the top on each window, used a bit there (to seal and hold it in place) then cut a small piece of black plastic to keep the polyurethane from the glass, and seal up each bottom.  This is a bad picture (but you get the idea).  It looks sloppy here...but is actually barely noticable unless you are right up with you nose to the glass.

Grant
2011 R-Pod 177
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 5:54pm
Looks good! It should hold up well.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>