R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy So Few 173's?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why So Few 173's?
    Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 10:04pm
I understand the popularity of the Pods with slides (I wish our Escape could tow one of them!), but when I'm looking through the posts, I see very few 173s among the models without slides.  I'm curious as to the reason.  We pick ours up this Wednesday, and we love the floorplan.  It'll just be the two of us camping in this little Pod.
Beth and Joe
2011 Prime Time Tracer 195M
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 11:00pm
For us, a 171 made the most sense.  Our last trailer was a tent trailer and we'd had more than enough of pulling things out and setting them up, so a model with as little fuss as possible to get ready to sleep or to eat was appealing.  We like the permanent bed in the rear plus a dinette up front that the 171 offers.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
peachpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 7:18am

Thanks for your response!  We've had several TT's (we're severely downsizing to simplify our lives), and we like having a permanent bed, too.  We're going to leave the dinette down as a permanent bed.  It's nearly as wide as a queen and almost as long.  Since Joe and I aren't tall people, it should work for us.  I've already ordered a memory foam topper to help with the comfort of it  We didn't use our dinette much when we had one, so we'd rather have the couch.  I can totally understand that people with children would use the dinette.  Our children don't camp with us anymore, so it'll just be the two of us camping now. 

BTW, we almost got the 171 b/c of the bed!  We also liked the fact that the storage in the 171 is in the back, lessening the tongue weight issue.  I see that it's a popular model on this forum.
Beth and Joe
2010 Toyota Tacoma
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 1:16pm
We got the 171 because its just enough room for 4 of us now, and in the future it will be more than enough room when the kids are gone.  The slide-out models were announced the week after we picked ours up so they weren't an option.  I do like the model that has the same layout as the 171 but I wouldn't want the extra weight and possible failure of the slide-out mechanism.  Our popup was much larger (two kings plus a slide-out dinette) but we don't hang out inside so its a minor issue for us.   I'm just happy to not have all the setup hassles anymore.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
tdrace View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 7:32pm
Peachpod, you might want to check out r-pod nations forum as well. Good info on both sites!
tdrace's
2018 180
2010 FORD F150 V-8
equalizer e-2 hitch
Sisters on the Fly #1569
peachpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 9:10pm
Thanks!  I'm a member there as well.  I just don't want to repeat too much info. since a lot of people are probably members of both forums.
Beth and Joe
2010 Toyota Tacoma
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 9:40pm
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
neadmo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 7:29pm
We have the Rpod 173 and love it.  We have the model with the fold down couch instead of the 2 chairs.  We made the large dinette thats in this model into a permanent bed and actually put in a real mattress.  (I used wood instead of the table though as the bottom....this allows us to use the table outside in the tent/dome).  I took the front removable skirting off of the couch, put eyehooks on both end of the couch and stretched 2 bungee cords across. This allows for quite a bit of easy access, under the couch storage.  Worked great for us.  I have photos of it somewhere on the forum. 

neadmo 2016 rpod 179
tdrace View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 7:47pm
I have the 173 and love it!! I use the couch for my bed, so I never have to let the dinette down. The couch you flip down and is ready to go, just as easy to flip up and put bedding in the space behind th couch. Love It!!!
tdrace's
2018 180
2010 FORD F150 V-8
equalizer e-2 hitch
Sisters on the Fly #1569
peachpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by neadmo

We have the Rpod 173 and love it.  We have the model with the fold down couch instead of the 2 chairs.  We made the large dinette thats in this model into a permanent bed and actually put in a real mattress.  (I used wood instead of the table though as the bottom....this allows us to use the table outside in the tent/dome).  I took the front removable skirting off of the couch, put eyehooks on both end of the couch and stretched 2 bungee cords across. This allows for quite a bit of easy access, under the couch storage.  Worked great for us.  I have photos of it somewhere on the forum. 

Great idea about using a piece of plywood instead of the table.  We are also using the dinette as a permanent bed.  We're using the area under the table, and also above the convection/microwave for additional storage, as well as behind the couch.  We've been surprised with how much room there is in such a small space!
Beth and Joe
2010 Toyota Tacoma
 Post Reply Post Reply