Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpare Tire Bracket

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spare Tire Bracket
    Posted: 27 May 2020 at 9:15am
We are new to the R-Pod life, but excited to get out and use ours. We have a 2014 R-Pod 178 which is virtually new, for some reason. My question is a way to mount a spare tire on the tongue so that we can keep the rear receiver for a bike rack. The equalizer system we have is the Centerline system. Wondering how I can mount on the tongue and still access the bracket to mount the side bar stabilizers. Any thoughts on a swivel mount for the spare? Appreciate any thoughts, suggestions or links to a great solution.
JMF
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 5:25pm
There is an under the trailer spare tire mounting solution some on the forum have used, I haven't personally heard of a tongue mount for the spare. There is a over the tongue bike mount system too, which allows you to keep your spare aft. Depending on the hitch capacity of your tow vehicle, and how many bikes you're mounting, keeping weight forward is good to reduce load on the trailer axle and to reduce the risk of sway. Even with an anti sway system, you want to try to keep the tongue weight above 10-11% of trailer weight at all times for safety. Think of the anti sway system as having both a belt and suspenders. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 6:55pm
You can get mounting brackets that attach to the tongue rails, but it doesn't work.  There isn't enough room to when you back up and you end up hitting the tire.  I tried it and ended up throwing away the bracket.  Thankfully, it was really cheap. 
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 9:53pm
FR wants you to limit how much weight you put on the rear receiver, and the further back from the frame them more the weight is multiplied, especially over bumps.  It's generally not considered a good idea to put bikes back there.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:48pm
Here's how I did it on a 2013 RP 172. It may not fit the newer 178 but you may get some ideas. I did use a E2 WDH and it all fit. I don't recall problems turning sharply if going forward. Backing may have required some caution but that always does. From my much earlier post:

When we bought our 172 we ordered the factory recommended bike rack for the rear. This displaced the spare tire. I didn’t want to give up interior storage space so I devised a way to mount the tire on the tongue. This was a bit of a task since the tongue already had two batteries, two propane tanks, and an equalizer hitch. However, it worked out well.

The job begins with a Swagman model 64025 RV Bumper Adapter, available from Amazon:
This adapter is designed for a 4” square bumper so some work is required to mount it on the 2”x3” RPOD frame tubing. The attachment bolts are replaced with ½ x 4 ½ inch class 8 high strength bolts, flat washers, and locking nuts to accommodate the 3” frame depth. Two new 9/16” holes, spaced 3” center-to-center from two of the existing holes, are drilled in the top and bottom plates to accommodate the 2” frame width. I would have preferred stainless, but stainless is not as strong as the class 8 bolts so I went with SAE ½ inch bolts and locking nuts. I did replace the 10 mm hex set screw bolt with stainless, but be warned, it is metric. The starting kit is shown below:

The Swagman adapter provides a 2 inch receiver and the FR supplied tire carrier requires a 1.25 inch receiver. I used the reducer sleeve that came with the bike carrier, but similar devices are available elsewhere.
The results are shown below. The adapter just fits, but it fits:

EDIT: Amazing. That old stuff is still on this server. Here's a link to my original post.  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3132&KW=spare+tire&PID=29715&title=tongue-mounted-spare-tire-on-172#29715

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply