R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Unable to get Generator to power Air Conditioner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnable to get Generator to power Air Conditioner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unable to get Generator to power Air Conditioner
    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

Your pocket book may feel better, but a larger generator can be quite a bit heavier. I (personally) would not like having to lift a 150lb generator no matter how short the lift.

+1. The OHSA safe lift limit is 50 lbs. I would want to call my neurologist and schedule another discectomy in advance of trying to move that big genny, that way I could limit the agonizing pain to as short a period as possible. Dead Please be careful. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 1:28pm
Many reports and tests in fact do say the new Honda EU2200 will power an AC (15,000BTU).  In my case, it definitely does.  Note, this is the new EU2200, not the older EU2000.  The older unit would not power an AC.  On the 5th wheel we run two of them ganged together when AC is needed — which is seldom.
2015 Pod Hood River Edition
2012 Tacoma Crew Cab 4 Liter
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 1:33pm
+1 GG, at my elevated age, 150 pounds is the new 275 pounds.  heh

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 1:39pm
I would want something like this if I were to get a larger generator than the one I have:
or this one:
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 1:46pm
Yeah.  I bought a Powerboss for home use with a worthless 30A RV plug on it about 2 years ago to power the house in a winter storm.  Then, I bought my Pod last fall and it has a use.  Mine has a 3500/5250 rating.  The peak rating seems impossible with a 6 HP engine. 
John
'16 R-Pod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Tibof

Many reports and tests in fact do say the new Honda EU2200 will power an AC (15,000BTU).  In my case, it definitely does.  Note, this is the new EU2200, not the older EU2000.  The older unit would not power an AC.  On the 5th wheel we run two of them ganged together when AC is needed — which is seldom.

Yes, I fully understood this was the 2200. Many report success and many report failure. As I said, there are are several variables involved. Its not as simple as saying it works or it doesn't, or even that it works for one person under all conditions. I've had my 2K start my a/c as well, under some very benign conditions. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Colt

Yeah.  I bought a Powerboss for home use with a worthless 30A RV plug on it about 2 years ago to power the house in a winter storm.  Then, I bought my Pod last fall and it has a use.  Mine has a 3500/5250 rating.  The peak rating seems impossible with a 6 HP engine. 

6 hp = 4.5 kw mechanical engine output. With generator conversion efficiencies in the range of 90% tops that would be about 4kw electric. So, yes, impossible on a continuous basis. But generators being rotating machines store energy in the moving mechanical parts which allows for a peak output higher than the engine hp rating, for a short time. 

When you think about it, what's going on when you start the a/c compressor from a genny is that you're using electricity to transfer stored energy from one machine with rotating mass to another one. Once the compressor is started the power required to maintain it in motion is much less. 

The problem with a budget inverter generator like the Briggs is that that the high initial electric current needed for a/c startup has to make it through the transistors in the inverter section. Those are likely tightly spec'd to save cost so become the limiting factor in the surge rating. The protection circuit is tripping the genny offline rather than allowing those transistors to be fried, which is a good thing. A higher end genny like the Hondas will have larger transistors which can handle more surge current. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
D&H View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 2:47pm
Y'all are funny on this site. And I would also agree that lifting over 50 lbs by yourself, especially planting/turning and lifting is not ideal in any situation... especially if you are camping in the boonies... Needless to say a generator that weighs 100+lbs is asking for trouble on a camping trip. But not having to purchase a generator for your RV and a second for your home would be ideal. 

I found this while looking into the EU2200s. 

Not sure if you were aware of this but see below. 

Recall Details

Description:

This recall involves Honda EB2200i, EU2200i, EU2200i Companion and EU2200i Camo portable generators. The recalled portable generators were sold with a red or Camo cover. The name “HONDA” and the generator model name are printed on the control panel. The serial number is located on a lower corner of one of the side panels of the generator. The model names and serial number ranges that are being recalled:

Model Name

Serial Number Range

EB2200i

EAJT -1000001 thru 1011342

EU2200i

EAMT-1000001 thru 2098790

EU2200i Companion

EU2200i Camo

Remedy:

Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled generators and contact a local authorized Honda Power Equipment service dealer to schedule a free repair. Honda is contacting all known purchasers directly. Consumers who took part in the previous recall for these generators should also take part in this recall.

Incidents/Injuries:

Honda has received 13 reports of the generator’s inverter assembly short-circuiting while in use, including 10 reports of fire. No injuries or property damage reported.

Sold At:

Authorized Honda Power Equipment Dealers, The Home Depot and other home improvement stores nationwide, and online from February 2018 through January 2020 for between $1,100 to $1,300.

2017 R-Pod 182G Hood River
2017 Tundra TRD Crew Max 5.7L V8
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 5:21pm
Not sure what this has to do with the point of my post.  thousands of these generators in use.
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by offgrid

Yes, I fully understood this was the 2200. Many report success and many report failure. As I said, there are are several variables involved. Its not as simple as saying it works or it doesn't, or even that it works for one person under all conditions. I've had my 2K start my a/c as well, under some very benign conditions. 

Please supply a reference.  While there may be situations when the EU2000 will not power the AC, such as a very high BTU unit or very high elevation, a Google search does not immediately bring up reports that the EU2000 fails to run the AC.  But it brings up many reports that it does.  Perhaps I should say, "In general, the EU2200 will run your AC."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>