R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Unable to get Generator to power Air Conditioner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnable to get Generator to power Air Conditioner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unable to get Generator to power Air Conditioner
    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 1:17pm
Once running the a/c only requires about 15-16A so you would have about 9-10 A capacity left on a 3Kw for other things. But the problem is that the a/c compressor cycles on an off every few minutes so you can't plan on having that available. After a few minutes that battery charger load drops off a lot though so that would probably be Ok (but not with B&S apparently). The Easystart solves these problems and isn't THAT expensive so I just went that route. Everything works better and there is much less load on the genny. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GCRicker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 1:36pm
I ordered from Amazon the Dometic Compressor Motor Hard Start Kit, model# 3311883.000 for $53.65.  I'm still waiting for it to come in.  Amazon estimates arriving June 22.  Hopefully this will fix my problem with the B&S, so I won't have to spend $300.00 for the EasyStart.
D&H View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 2:23pm
Wow $300 for an EasyStart... the extra $300 would vault you from a 3k to a 6k+. I see your frustration now GC. Can't wait to hear if the motor hard start kit fixes the issue. Best of luck.
2017 R-Pod 182G Hood River
2017 Tundra TRD Crew Max 5.7L V8
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 3:41pm
Yeah I'd be interested in the (cheaper) dometic kit if it does make the start up surge easier on the genset. 

Please let us know how well it works, or not. 
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by D&H

Wow $300 for an EasyStart... the extra $300 would vault you from a 3k to a 6k+. I see your frustration now GC. Can't wait to hear if the motor hard start kit fixes the issue. Best of luck.

Why the angst about the $300? Bigger isn’t necessarily better. I look at it this way: for a measly $300 I can run my a/c off my dinky 47 lb Honda 2k. In fact it has no noticeable startup surge, the Honda just loads up and runs, straight from ECO mode. To me and my lumbar vertebrae that’s a great value. I don’t begrudge a small company like Microair making a profit from their innovative solution.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GCRicker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 5:10pm
offgrid.  You're right.  If I knew then, what I know now, I would have bought a small generator and with the money saved, bought the EasyStart.
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by podwerkz

Hmmm....BS from B&S. 

I think that's unfair to B&S.  Their 2600 watt generator trips in a very few seconds if asked to deliver over 3000 watts, its peak rating.  That another generator will struggle and run at under-voltage long enough to start the A/C should not be a valid expectation.  Running an electric motor at low voltage will damage some, if not most.  Since it performs as stated, we can only say it has no excess reserve and we need a larger generator. 
John
'16 R-Pod 180
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 9:45pm
With the EasyStart, my Generac iX2000 does not struggle to start the AC compressor. The B&S generator would probably be okay if an EasyStart were installed. However, it would not have been my expectation that it would have been needed.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
D&H View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 11:55am
Why the angst about the $300? Bigger isn’t necessarily better. I look at it this way: for a measly $300 I can run my a/c off my dinky 47 lb Honda 2k. In fact it has no noticeable startup surge, the Honda just loads up and runs, straight from ECO mode. To me and my lumbar vertebrae that’s a great value. I don’t begrudge a small company like Microair making a profit from their innovative solution.

Agreed. But for my application I would prefer to pay up for a bigger gen set so that I could fire up our water well, ToyoStove and a few lights if our power were to ever go out in the winter. Granted the bigger gennys come at the expense of added weight. I think the Honda 5k is over 150lbs.
2017 R-Pod 182G Hood River
2017 Tundra TRD Crew Max 5.7L V8
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 1:01pm
Your pocket book may feel better, but a larger generator can be quite a bit heavier. I (personally) would not like having to lift a 150lb generator no matter how short the lift.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>