R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Unable to get Generator to power Air Conditioner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnable to get Generator to power Air Conditioner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unable to get Generator to power Air Conditioner
    Posted: 26 May 2020 at 12:49pm
I purchased a Briggs and Stratton P3000 generator based on comments that it could run the RPod's Dometic 13.5 K BTU air conditioner.  However, once the air conditioner's condenser clicks on, the P3000 immediately goes into fault mode.  I have the P3000 in normal mode, not power save mode.  It can handle the fan before the condenser comes on fine.  Any thoughts on why my setup doesn't work and others do?  Should I take the P3000 in for servicing because maybe the surge circuitry isn't working? 
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 1:39pm
Everything could be working right but the 3 kw might be a bit low to get the a/c started, the startup load well exceeds 3Kw for a few seconds. If you haven't already, be sure everything else is off in the trailer, including the converter and the water heater. You can turn them off with their circuit breakers. Then let the a/c unit settle for an hour or so, which will assure the refrigerant back pressure is low so the starting load is as low as possible. Then try again. 

If it still won't start the a/c see if it will run the microwave, which has a much lower startup surge. If you can get that running then try adding the water heater element (with water in the tank so you don't burn it out) to find out what total load the genny can handle. The water heater and micro together should be right around 3KW. If that's too much then turn off one of them and add a smaller known load instead, like say an 800 watt hair dryer. The point is to see if your genny is producing what it should. Do you have a clamp on current meter you can use to see how much load the generator actually has on it? If not just add up the nameplate loads. 

if the genny is performing as it should but won't start the a/c then you'll either need a bigger genny or an Easystart on the a/c to reduce startup load. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GCRicker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 2:26pm
OffGrid.

Thanks for your quick reply.  I tried again since it's been over an hour since my last attempt.  I flipped the microwave and converter breakers off, and the generator's display showed me that 0 % of my capacity was being used, versus the 2 % when I left the microwave and converter on in my previous attempts.  Also, I put the fan speed to low on the air conditioner (rather than auto), and tried again.  Same result. Generator immediately  faulted after the compressor turned on.

I do not have current meter clamp, however, i tried your load idea of water heater and microwave.  That worked for about 1 minute with the display on the generator showing 107.1 %.  Then after that minute, it too went into fault mode.

I'm not sure what all this means.  Do you think my generator is okay, and it's my air conditioner creating more of a load then other RPod air conditioners?  Does it matter that my 2020 RPod 190 is brand new and that the air conditioner has only been tested at the dealers and never really been used?  (I don't have a 30 amp outlet at home.)

I don't think at this point I can return the Briggs and Stratton generator.  What is an Easystart, and is it expensive?  Is it easy to install?

Thanks for all your help.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 3:02pm
The 107% for a minute before generator shutdown sounds OK to me. To be certain, you could try turning off either the micro or the water heater and adding an 800-1000 watt blow dryer or something like that instead. See if your genny will stay running at something in the 2700-3000 watt (90-100%)  range. Once you've established that to your satisfaction then you can turn your attention to the a/c unit with high confidence that its the startup load that is killing the genny.

An Easystart

is a soft start device that is mounted inside your roof air. It is indeed pricey but it works very well, I have one and it allows my Honda 2K to start the a/c. The hardest thing about installing it is that you are working on the roof of the rPod. You have to reconnect a few wires from the existing start capacitor in the Dometic to the Easystart. Then you run the Easystart through a few starts so it can "learn" and minimize the starting load current. The instructions are pretty good, as is the customer support, and several of us have installed them so you can ask any questions you have on the forum. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 7:02pm
Dometic says their 13,500 BU A/C runs at 12.5 or 12.6 amps.
https://www.dometic.com/assets/58/97/3312501_55897.pdf?att=true
If the standard 2.25 factor is applied for in-rush current that is 28.1A or 3375 watts at 120V.
Your P3000 is a 2600watt/21.7A generator with 3000W peak (25A). 
https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/product-catalog/generators/portable-generators/p3000-powersmart-series-inverter-generator.html
You just don't have enough generator. 

So, is it cheaper to have a soft-start installed or trade up to a P4500?  Since you haven't had it long, maybe your dealer will be kind.  If you don't ask, the answer is already "no".
John
'16 R-Pod 180
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 7:07pm
Remember too that a 3000 watt generator is 3000 peak (surge) watts, not 3000 running watts. It is rated for 2600 running watts. That generator should be more than capable of starting and running the AC. I have a Generac iX2000 (2200 peak, 2000 running watts) which can start the AC. I did install a Micro-Air EasyStart also and I do recommend it. However, if that generator won't start the AC, I think it indicates a problem with the generator. I would contact the manufacturer and put in a warranty claim since it is not performing as it should.

A clamp-on meter like the Southwire Digital 600-Volt Test Meter which can test both AC and DC amperage is reasonably priced from Lowe's at a little lower price on Amazon.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 7:17pm
Some 3kw generators can start the a/c, some can't. Even if you could return the generator, consider the extra size, weight, and fuel use of a larger one. The Easystart is not at all difficult to self-install, and once done its done. Big gennies are backbreakers to load and unload and move around the campsite every time, and depending on your TV can push you over the edge of safety in loading your rig. Other than starting the a/c, there's really nothing you need a big 4.5 kw generator for in an rpod. That's why I opted for a 2kw and the Easystart, the 2kw only weighs about 48 lbs, and converted to propane there is no need for an extra fuel source either. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GCRicker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 7:30pm
I found something on the web that is much cheaper. A Dometic 3310727007 KIT, HARD START <SL>.   Does anyone know if this would work instead of the $300 Easystart? It’s even from Dometic.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 7:40pm
A hard start kit is not doing the same job as an Easystart, it's job is to get the compressor started under heavy load. Those devices will only reduce the current demand of the compressor a little, if at all. The Easystart reduces it to the point that the surge is essentially unnoticeable.  Try it if you like, if you're close it might work, but if you want to avoid frustration and multiple installs, the Easystart is the proven solution. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 9:01am
Originally posted by offgrid

Some 3kw generators can start the a/c, some can't. Even if you could return the generator, consider the extra size, weight, and fuel use of a larger one. The Easystart is not at all difficult to self-install, and once done its done. Big gennies are backbreakers to load and unload and move around the campsite every time, and depending on your TV can push you over the edge of safety in loading your rig. Other than starting the a/c, there's really nothing you need a big 4.5 kw generator for in an rpod. That's why I opted for a 2kw and the Easystart, the 2kw only weighs about 48 lbs, and converted to propane there is no need for an extra fuel source either. 

I can understand a 2K generator not being able to start the AC. I can't see any situation in which a 3K generator would not be able to start and run the AC unless either something is defective in the generator or the AC. If the AC starts without difficulty when powered by shore power, it should start with a 3K generator. After all, it is running on a 15A circuit breaker. That generator should be putting out around 24A steady and 27A surge, which should be more than enough.

A typical 2kw generator would be putting out 1600W steady (14.5A) and 3000W surge (18A). This is a 3kw generator in question. I still think something is wrong with the generator. That is why I suggested contacting the manufacturer for warranty service if it is too late to return it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>