R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Unable to get Generator to power Air Conditioner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnable to get Generator to power Air Conditioner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GCRicker View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unable to get Generator to power Air Conditioner
    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 1:36pm
I ordered from Amazon the Dometic Compressor Motor Hard Start Kit, model# 3311883.000 for $53.65.  I'm still waiting for it to come in.  Amazon estimates arriving June 22.  Hopefully this will fix my problem with the B&S, so I won't have to spend $300.00 for the EasyStart.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 1:17pm
Once running the a/c only requires about 15-16A so you would have about 9-10 A capacity left on a 3Kw for other things. But the problem is that the a/c compressor cycles on an off every few minutes so you can't plan on having that available. After a few minutes that battery charger load drops off a lot though so that would probably be Ok (but not with B&S apparently). The Easystart solves these problems and isn't THAT expensive so I just went that route. Everything works better and there is much less load on the genny. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
D&H View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 12:50pm
Great info here all. I wasn't aware that the AC needed that much starting current! Alos, funny enough I was looking at the B&S gen sets this morning, although I was looking at the 6.5k version. 

Question in line with this thread topic. If you have a 3k generator AND you get the AC cranking how much capacity is left on the generator to run other appliances, lights, etc, and will your onboard battery be able to charge? I am looking at a gen set to charge my batteries primarily, but if the temps rise or we are camping without tree cover the AC would be great to run in the evening or during my kiddos nap time.   
2017 R-Pod 182G Hood River
2017 Tundra TRD Crew Max 5.7L V8
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 7:39am
Originally posted by Tibof

I find that the new Honda 2200 does run the AC with no problem. No soft start installed.

It might or might not, reports vary.. This depends on multiple factors, including ambient temp, how long since the last a/c cycle, refrigerant charge, altitude, phase of the moon, throw of the dice, etc. IOW, don't count on it. If you want to be sure, get an Easystart or a larger genny. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 8:02pm
Hmmm....BS from B&S. 

Many years ago I bought the smallest Generac inverter generator, rated at 800 watts IIRC.

It would barely run a 100 watt light bulb.

Junk it was.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 6:50pm
I find that the new Honda 2200 does run the AC with no problem. No soft start installed.
2015 Pod Hood River Edition
2012 Tacoma Crew Cab 4 Liter
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 10:14am
That is exactly the response I would have expected. They have their protection circuitry set at their max rating. Probably they have to to protect undersized FETs in their inverter section. So, they meet their published specs but not a smidge higher. I guess its another example of getting what you pay for (or not getting what you don't pay for). 

If you're close the Dometic starter might get you over the top. But of course it might not, sometimes those starters are designed to help the compressor motor get started at the expense of even higher line load. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 10:00am
I'm sorry they did not provide a viable solution or admit that their generator does not work for the purpose intended.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GCRicker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 9:43am
Briggs and Stratton finally got back to me.  They said that because the test that I did with the hot water heater and microwave, that I posted above, proves that the surge circuitry is working in the generator. Therefore, they insisted it was the Dometic air conditioner. I'm going to try the capacitor that Dometic sells and see if I can install it myself. I just can't afford th Easystart right now. 
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 1:41pm
GC,

Please report what you find from B&S.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>