Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedquestions for dealer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: questions for dealer
    Posted: 25 May 2020 at 1:30pm
I'm picking up our first R-pod (190 model) on 5/28/20 from an out of state dealer (~200 miles) and am wondering if anyone has a list of items to check off or discuss with the dealer.  The r-pod is a 2019 and I have tow experience w/ a Flagstaff pop-up camper. TV is a 2016 Highlander and I'm adding the WDH + sway control. I'll be bringing it back home pretty empty. Also, do I need tow mirrors?
Thanks, and I'm looking forward to learning a lot from you Pros!
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 2:32pm
The 190 is a narrower body, so tow mirrors are nice but not a necessity. However, I did add them to my Tundra and will never go back, mainly because of the better visibility and lower 1/5th blind spot mirror. Mine were Trail Ridge brand. Here's a link to eTrailer (no affiliatiation) that has a few options for the 2016 Highlander. Congrats!

Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
Buffalohunter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 2:43pm
Bracket holding the waste discharge valve...usually fails, rubber Chanel molding running the length (port/starboard) of the roof to sides...cracks then flies in the wind, displacement hitch, accuracy of the tank levels...currently, torque specs for the wheels...write it down, integrity of the attached ac/bath vent and other roof top attachments...they do wiggle loose. Many other things but just my experiential two cents worth. Prepare for fun...zip ties don’t leave home without them or electrical tape😉
R-pod-2020 189
2013 Toyota Tacoma
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 3:43pm
Look in the internet for pre-delivery check lists.  You can combine the best of several and go through them with the dealer.  Best to fix things before delivery.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 4:37pm
+1 on the Trail Ridge mirrors! I added them to our Nissan Frontier. They are expensive, but well worth it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TNC_VOL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 8:19pm

Thanks PilotPodder! I'll check out the TT when I pick it up and after our return make a decision on the mirrors. If need be I can stop at some local retailers (e.g. Walmart) on the way home and add mirrors.

ReluctantTraveler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 8:36pm
Check the wheel lugs while you're getting those torque specs, as Buffalohunter mentioned; you don't want them loose. Make sure those tires are inflated to proper specs as well; I believe 60 PSI, but check the side walls for the rated pressure. You will need a pressure gauge that goes at least to 70 or 80 PSI. Most auto TP gauges do not go up that high.
2019 R-Pod 190
2011 Toyota 4Runner

Be kind to everyone today!

Dennis
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 9:01pm
I tow my 179 with my Highlander with its standard mirrors and it’s fine. I suggest you try that first and then decide. Add on mirrors are a pain and unneccesary with our rigs in my opinion.
I do suggest a weight distribution hitch and sway control, and highly suggest that you actually weigh your trailer, tongue weight, tow vehicle, and total rig weights as you plan to load up for travel. Check those numbers against your Highlander and trailer weight specs. You will almost certainly be surprised how heavy things can get if you haven’t done that before. I was. Have fun!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 8:49am
Add a caveat to the above--some states such as Vermont require towing mirrors. Other states just specify that one must be able to see specified distances behind the trailer. Even if you think that your tow vehicle does not need towing mirrors, you may find that the additional visibility they provide is helpful, especially when passing another vehicle.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 9:21am
Vermont requires mirrors that are at least 25 square inches or 5 inches in diameter. If your existing mirrors meet that requirement then you comply. They also require you to retract or remove extended mirrors when not towing. As I suggested, try it without and see if you're comfortable. I have a set of Dometic extension mirrors I used once towing a boat I'll sell if anyone wants them, I don't need them with my narrower horse trailer or rPod, and I don't have the boat anymore.  
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>