R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHave you weighed your 180?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have you weighed your 180?
    Posted: 30 May 2020 at 9:28am
The only thing that can protect you from litigation is sacrificing a chicken on your back yard grill to the goddess of justice every afternoon, served with a fresh salad, veggies and corn on the cob cooked on the grill, along with very cold beer.  You can substitute a nice tri-tip, a whole salmon, or a pork tenderloin, but to work well it must be cooked to perfection.  Bacon helps too, especially wrapped around nice thick fillet mignon steaks or put onto freshly grilled hamburgers.  Tongue

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 9:43am
I don't know about where y'all live but I haven't seen any decent looking beef in the markets around here in a couple of months. Chicken yeah, but lately I've been getting an urge to cluck and peck at the ground so I'll pass....And bacon? I've forgotten what that tastes like. As you seem to have a direct conduit do you think lady justice might cut us some slack and let us sacrifice some canned beans during Covid? 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
tcj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 10:01am
Offgrid,
Good point about moving the datum to the axel.  Would it be the Wheeis with the torsion suspension? I made a CG envelope graph for my experimental airplane. It took a lot of head scratching to do that.  I'll have to think about it some for the Rpod.

Lostman,
The chicken and steak would probably be good enough liability protection.  I actually don't think the average camp trailer owner would be inclined to use a weight and balance form.  I'm tinkering with it mostly for my own amusement.  I think it is probably just a complicated way of doing something that is actually pretty simple.

It has given me a good understanding of how weight in various locations in the trailer affects the hitch weight and weight on the axel though.
2018 R-pod 180 Hood River Edition
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 10:14am
It would be the wheel hubs. The torsion arms can be considered to be rigid from the point of view of weight and balance.

The fore and aft cg limits at 15 and 10% are pretty straightforward, as are the top and bottom of the envelope at the max and empty weights. The sloping line representing the tow vehicle hitch weight is the one to noodle on a bit but I think that is correct.

What do you fly? I had a Grumman Tiger and a Bonanza V tail but I’ve just done occasional renting for the past 10 years. It got to be too much money to justify ownership anymore for me.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 10:17am
One of the first things I learned in my first year in law school was to get a good freezer and stock it with dead animals for grilling/sacrifices.  But, as insurance, especially in those uncivilized places where you are frequently losing power, it helps to have a generator handy just in case.  We stocked up on Costco apple smoked bacon late last year in anticipation of blt sandwiches and stuffed bacon potatoes.  

Only the goddess of electronic aparatus will lower herself to accept lesser sacrifices.  .... Grade A eggs.

OG, out in the civilized part of the country, we have local meat suppliers and even Costco has a great selection, but it's getting a little pricey for my Social Security budget.  But, worst comes to worst, I can sneak off and poach a horse from our local wild herds or from Elon Musk's Tesla estate.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 11:08am
Poaching horses doesn't sounds very civilized to me. Didn't they use to hang folks out in the Wild West for that? And if the hangin' judge warn't around them parts, that never stopped the posse 'neither....
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 11:19am
The only time they hung folks for poaching wild horses out west was when they didn't get invited to the barbecue party.  Same for Bambi and Thumper.  Rabbit is a little dry for the grill, though; better stewed.  

Some of my poor itinerant Irish potato farmer ancestors got into a little trouble for poaching on the absentee English landlord's estate.  Hanging or transportation were the usual punishments, but it was the only way to get a little meat to go with the praties.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sTZ6sROY38

Carrying a poached [not like poached eggs] horse in your Pod, can really mess up the weight and balance, so plan on hunting early in your boondocking trip, so you don't have a lot to take home.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 11:29am
Yeah. Meat has not been in short supply, but recently we have considered a second mortgage for a decent ribeye.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
tcj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 11:46am
Originally posted by offgrid

What do you fly? I had a Grumman Tiger and a Bonanza V tail but I’ve just done occasional renting for the past 10 years. It got to be too much money to justify ownership anymore for me.

I owned a 1/3 share in a Piper Cherokee 180.  I learned to fly in it.  Then built a kitfox and flew it for 7 years.  Then there came the day when it was time to quit.  It was three years ago.  I got old and was not as sharp as I should be.  I sold the kitfox to a retired FAA inspector and commercial pilot from Alaska.  I miss it a lot.Cry  But I am lucky to have lots of interests so bought an R-pod.Smile

2018 R-pod 180 Hood River Edition
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 10:50pm
Yeah, I liked the Kitfoxes I saw. Guy had one at 3M3 years ago, but I was too long legged to get in it.

I measured for a W&B sheet for my 180 this PM. Referenced everything to the wheel centerline so I'd get negative moments for stuff in the rear. Used a surveyor's tape. Measured to several places like the wardrobe and shower where I might stash things for a trip. It was worth the effort just for the comfort more data brings.

tcj, you have a mistake. The distance from the wheels to the hitch is 13.4'. 😉🤣

Now back to preping for the SAE Baja judging!
John
'16 R-Pod 180
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>