R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAbout to buy a 196 - advice?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: About to buy a 196 - advice?
    Posted: 18 May 2020 at 4:30pm
Hi Everyone!
I am new to the r-pod world, and super excited about it! 
I am thinking of the 196, any advice? What did any one pay? 
What should I be aware of? It is the 2020 brand new one. 
Thank you! Also, I am glad to have found this forum :)
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 4:57pm
Congratulations!  I was in your shoes back in January 2011 when a 177 was special ordered.  Still have it today with many great memories in the rear view mirror. 

Advice: Regardless of where you are purchasing make sure to do a video as you are shown all the features.  It seems like you are in a dreamworld as they go through all the things "you need to know" and as you encounter information overload, much will be forgotten.  When I went through that process, the salesperson was more than helpful as we were both writing down as much as we could while he explained how everything worked, from the hot water heater to the refrigerator to the winter bypass valves to the furnace, proper set-up, r-dome, ect.  Our walkthru was probably a good 2.5 hours, we were so pleased with the salesman as well the the dealer we purchased our 177 from in Escanaba (U.P.) Michigan.  Also, if you are a FB person (I not much so but my wife is) you can also check out the RPOD facebook owners page, lots of info there as well.  Much more heavily visited and used than here.  BUT I have benefited greatly here over the years, many well seasoned podders here who know a lot more than me.  Enjoy and keep us all in the loop as you bring that 196 home!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
trajoi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 6:09pm
Thank you! I am so excited! NOW I need to learn about towing, and solar, and wifi, and black water dumping! FUN TIMES!!! SmileSmileSmileSmile
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 9:11am
Hi, welcome to the site, and the Rpod world. As far as the 196, I think you will probably love it, depending on your situation. I have a 195, same model, but we have a dinette instead of the couch. I think I probably would like the couch better, so, good choice. It's mostly only me and my wife in mine, occassionily my daughter. We have plenty of space, and the size is great. You will need a decent sized tow vehicle to tow this. I use a Nissan Frontier and have few issues,I wouldn't mind a little more power on steep hills, but no matter what you have, steep hills are harder. just a little info If your choosing a tow vehicle. You will want to get a Weight distribution hitch (known as WDH) to help sway and overall control. The first 2 things I would recommend are, get a water pressure regulator before hooking up water. And get a Progressive 30 amp EMS surge protector (or better) but I think this is plenty, before plugging into an electrical source. People will recommend all kinds of stuff, but I think this is a good start. 

BTW: I always recommend getting the hardwired EMS so that you put it in and forget it. Never forget to use, and never forget to put it back in the camper before leaving. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
trajoi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 9:35am
THANK YOU!!! You just made my day :) I might have more questions for you in the future... be prepared! hahaha! 

I am looking into a new car/tow vehicle now and weighing my options, so thank you for the advice! Thank you for the water pressure and surge protector advice as well! YOU are my new hero!! 

Thank you again!
Stay safe and take care!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 9:38am
Watch out for the "hidden" costs, dealer fees, doc fees, etc. Also, the best time to get any options is before you strike a deal. You will need batteries for it, I'd recommend two 6V golf cart batteries in series if you will be boondocking, one 12V battery if not. One propane tank comes with it, and that is generally enough for most folks unless you will be camping in cold weather and need to run the furnace a lot, in which case you will probably want 2.

If you're considering solar it sounds like you might be planning to boondock. If so you will want an alternative power source. Solar is great if you aren't camping under tree canopy or in cloudy weather all the time. You might want to start with  a portable 100 watt system (solar module, charge controller, 30-50 ft long cable, and tilt rack) that way you can more easily position the solar module in the sun. You don't need to buy the "pre wired" brand, whatever that is at the moment, any kit will do and can be directly connected to the batteries (with a fuse). 

If you're mostly boondocking in heavy forest or want to run the a/c and micro then you'll probably want a generator. Get an inverter/generator (quieter and more efficient) either 3kw or higher if you want to run the a/c or 2.2kW and install an a/c soft start. 

As mjlrpod says you will need a fairly serious tow vehicle for that trailer, a mid size SUV won't cut it. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Capt Kidd View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 10:30am
I tow my 196 with a 2016 Dodge Durango V6.  It works great.  I use the paddle shifters and find that I can tow at 60 mph in 7th gear if no head winds and get 13 to 14 mpg.
The Pirate's Pod
trajoi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 10:32am
Thank you! Yes, I will be needing all the solar... I know that what the dealer is offering is not enough, so I am looking into getting solar installed elsewhere. 

THANK you for all of the advice!!! I have so much to learn! :) 
trajoi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 10:42am
Thank you! I am looking into V6 SUVs - still looking and cost and everything....
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 11:12am
Engine size isn't really the issue, its tow capacity, hitch capacity, and max combined gross vehicle weight (MCGVW). Weight adds up very fast, you'll be surprised.  A typical mid size V6 SUV with a 5000 lb tow capacity like my Highlander isn't going to be sufficient for that trailer. I would want at least a Tahoe or Sequoia size vehicle for that job. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>