R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Jensen LED light

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote fffriedl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jensen LED light
    Posted: 17 May 2020 at 5:10pm
Other than pulling the fuse, is there a kill switch to turn off the Jensen LED light that stays on when you turn the power to the unit off. I would think that this light would drain the battery if left on for a few weeks. 
Frederick F Friedl
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 6:05pm
No.  But there are also other parasitic 12v draws.  The fridge computer board runs on 12 v no matter how it's powered, and the CO detector.  Maybe that's it.  The answer is to store the pod with shore power hooked up, remove the battery, or install a battery cut-off switch.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
fffriedl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fffriedl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 6:20pm
Gotcha......Thank you
Frederick F Friedl
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 9:05pm
We boondock a lot and I did not want his light to be active.  I installed an in-line switch on the main power line going into the entertainment unit.  I unscrewed the face of the unit and pulled it completely out of the wall.  This will take 2 people because all of the wiring is relatively short, so 1 person has to hold the unit while you work on it. I found the main incoming power line and cut it. I added a simple on/off toggle switch in this line and reinstalled the entertainment unit back in the wall.  I made a base plate for the switch(also holds the end of the curtain between the bed and living area). It works perfectly.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
fffriedl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fffriedl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 9:47pm
Thank you. Very ingenious. I will install one too
Frederick F Friedl
fffriedl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fffriedl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 9:48pm
Do you remember what color the wire is that you installed the toggle?
Frederick F Friedl
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 12:05am
This is a fine solution for getting the light to turn off at night when you don't want to see it, but just be aware that it does little to prolong your battery life.

TT 
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 7:32am
On the Jensen unit, there is an easier way to turn off the light. The two arrow buttons to the left of the display adjust the brightness. The light can be turned all the way off there. I usually keep it at the lowest setting, just above off. That does not address the parasitic draw, but it does help at night. Also, I installed a curtain at the opening to the bed in our 179. That is to let me get up earlier than my wife, who likes to sleep in later.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 7:51am
+1 to StephenH's solution. The electrical load on the Jensen is not significant enough to be an issue boondocking, and the built in dimming function works just fine. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
crw8sr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote crw8sr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 9:33am
Thanks StephenH!  Now I can stop using "Frog" tape to cover it up.  
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>