Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLeaky roof on 2016 179 - Event Date: 13 May 2020 - 23 May 2020

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Leaky roof on 2016 179
    Posted: 13 May 2020 at 7:42am
My wife and I have decided that we are not using our 2016 179 enough to warrent keeping it. ( Used only once is past year. It has been covered with a fabric RV cover in our back yard in NH most of the time since purchased in 2017.) Neighbor has expressed interest. While inspecting it he discovered several small bubbles in the seam between the ceiling and wall near the slide out window. A moisture meter reading of "HIGH" prompted me to make and apt with locak R-POD dealer to get an inspection and recommendation. There are no water stains, a slight one square foot sag of the ceiling at the sight. Moisture meter reads low about two feet away from the bubbles. Previous owner has installed a commercial grade tape along the roof seams and said this had been recommended to him by the RV dealership where he purchased the 179. I had not treated the seams since purchase in 2017. Any recommendations for how to locate the leak and how to rectify the moisture issue would be helpful. thanks in advance for reading and responding. Billy Brown
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 8:52am
Please clarify. Is this on the wall of the RPod body between the roof and the top of the slide-out roof or on the wall of the slide-out between the flange and the window?t?

Unfortunately, there is likely no easy way to do this. The dealer is probably better equipped to do the work of finding the leak. One way that possible is to make a plug to fit tightly into an open window and cut a hole for a duct. Use a squirrel cage fan, much like the ones used to inflate the bouncy castles or slides. It would not need one that big or powerful, but you do need to be able to build some pressure. Once that is done, use a soap solution to go along the seams and spray them. Any leaks should be made evident by bubbles appearing where air is leaking. Once the leaks are found, then probably Dicor lap sealant after cleaning off the leaking area well with denatured alcohol.

I'm not sure what the "commercial grade tape" was that the previous owner used. That will likely need to be removed both to test, and to fix the leak. I've read good things about Eternabond. However, I would still lean toward self-leveling lap sealant if it is on a horizontal portion of the roof or non self-leveling if it is on the curved or vertical portion. If it is the slide-out roof that is the problem, then that does have Eternabond tape already. That would need to be removed, the area cleaned, and the tape replaced with new tape.

I'm not sure if this is the best answer, but it is the way I would proceed. When I worked for a boat-building company, we pressure tested the boats to find leaks before they were shipped to the new owners.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Billy Brown View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 3:51pm
Hi SephnenH, thanks for your input. It is the portion of the  ceiling above the R-POD body wall, not the slide out. Billy
 Post Reply Post Reply