R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMisc - Help Items

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Misc - Help Items
    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 6:47am
Glad you're safe. Got a video? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
babyboogerfamily View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 6:04pm
I forgot to let everyone know here I got it down safely.  I got a 2 ton wrench and anchored it to a tree that was 90 degrees from the line, pulled it down to take the force, got behind the line at the end and make a single point of failure where it shot down safely.  Boom.../.  
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 6:39pm
Glad to hear that. Firefighters yeah!!!
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
babyboogerfamily View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 6:26pm
Or I could tie them down and use the stored energy to perform a directional release...?  The local FD is going to get it down for me.

Originally posted by podwerkz

Originally posted by babyboogerfamily

Any ideas other than cutting the chain from behind the tree where it is anchored, it has 1,200 lbs of tension in it, I'm not creating a sling shot that will throw hard metal towoards my backyard neighbors.

Man, I hope we get a youtube video of a home-made trebuchet flailing a large uprooted tree at the neighbors across the street....wow....hold my beer and watch this!

LOL

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 5:48pm
I wouldn't know.  I was married at the time and was broke as broke could be, so a dalliance with the sporting ladies was out of the question.  By the way, they were not all that common in the Mission Dist. when I lived there in the late 60's and early 70's.  I guess there was too much available for free in the hippie times.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 5:24pm
Were those "come alongs" from Mission District sex workers? Or was that long enough ago that it was in the Barbary Coast? LOL
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 4:52pm
I learned about come alongs when I was in law school, .....working as a carpenter in Local 22, SF.  Big smile
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by lostagain

Asking the engineers in the crowd:  Since the trees can flex, what would you think of getting a second much stronger come along and pulling the trees together a just enough to allow the ratchet on the existing come along to be able to release.  Once the lighter come along is released and removed, then release the ratchet on the much heavier one that supposedly will have the additional capacity manage the force involved.  Might that work?  

Yes, that is exactly what I'm suggesting. It doesn't really matter if its the trees or the cable that is providing the little slack needed to release the stuck come along. We know that there is some additional capacity left because he was able to put additional tension on it by pulling it down a couple feet and it didn't break. It will take a lot less than that to take the tension off it once there is a heavier come along in place. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by babyboogerfamily

Any ideas other than cutting the chain from behind the tree where it is anchored, it has 1,200 lbs of tension in it, I'm not creating a sling shot that will throw hard metal towoards my backyard neighbors.

Man, I hope we get a youtube video of a home-made trebuchet flailing a large uprooted tree at the neighbors across the street....wow....hold my beer and watch this!

LOL
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 12:19pm
Asking the engineers in the crowd:  Since the trees can flex, what would you think of getting a second much stronger come along and pulling the trees together a just enough to allow the ratchet on the existing come along to be able to release.  Once the lighter come along is released and removed, then release the ratchet on the much heavier one that supposedly will have the additional capacity manage the force involved.  Might that work?  

Or better yet, hire a local crane and rigging company to take care of it.  They deal with highly tensioned cables all the time and could probably get it off in a snap [pun intended].

I would not want to be any where near a tensioned cable snapping.  I was too close for comfort on a sail boat that got dismasted when a shroud (cable that holds up the mast for land lubbers) came out of a swedge fitting.  Thankfully no one was in the way of this 5/16" SS cable that would have sliced through a body part like butter.  Also, if one wanted to measure the tension, there is a tension measuring tool used on sail boat rigging that might help in knowing how tight the come along cable is.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>