Topic ClosedIntroduce yourself

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Introduce yourself
    Posted: 24 May 2020 at 5:56am
Originally posted by chenschel

Offgrid 
I made the wrong decision but fixed it!  After towing my 190 with the Highlander Hybrid a week ago. We decided to change our tow vehicle. We traded our 2016 Highlander foR a 2016 4Runner!  A few more payments but actually less per month. Up’d our towing capacity to 5,000lbs. Hopefully this will be a good combination of TV and Trailer.  

Good choice!  The HiHi is a great vehicle for daily use but the hybrid's efficiency wouldn't show up cruising with a trailer anyway. I'd be kinda surprised if it was noticeably better than either the 4runner or a standard drivetrain Highlander like mine. 

Don't get me wrong, I love my Prius and plan to keep it forever. I think the Toyota hybrid drivetrain is the best (short of pure electric) drivetrain on the planet for a passenger car. Its amazing once you understand how it does what it does. But its not at its best towing. 

I'd still recommend you keep things as light as possible with your new combo, in particular watch how much load you end up with in the back of the 4Runner. The 190 is heavier than my 179 and I'm pretty close to the max combined weight I'd want to tow with my rig. If you haven't got one yet I'd also suggest a weight distribution hitch. 

Have fun!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 12:48pm
The pathfinder would have upped your capacity to 6,000 + but, as long as it all works in the end 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 6:48pm
Its no different than Ford vs Chevy. Toyota ppl won't necessarily consider Nissans, and I assume vice versa. I bought my last non-Toyota in 1992.  Toyota has the top reliability record of any maker (Lexus 1, Toyota 2 on consumer reports). If I wanted to tow something bigger I'd be looking at Tundras and Sequoias. Not trying to start an argument, just sayin' that there are other considerations besides tow capacity when choosing a vehicle, and everyone has their personal preferences.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 7:24pm
Indeed, Offgrid, how true.  Once you find a make that has been dependable, it is hard to look at anything else.  For me, it is Ford.  When I retired just over a year ago I drove a '94 F-150 5.0 V-8.  Outside of standard maintenance like a new clutch and throw-out bearing at 260,000 miles it was pretty much trouble free, never an issue with the engine.    And considering it had 31 deer kills and many, many more hits, (close to 100) and never went to the collision shop, it was built like a tank.  Now the 2017 I drive, it would probably be toast after the first deer collision, so around here I drive like a little old lady (did I just say that?).  Sorry if you are a little old lady because on the expressway you gals drive those big limo's at 90 + mph.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 7:38pm
I like Fords too.  Never had a bad one.  GM, not so good in my experience.  Toyotas are really nice, but a little pricy for my wallet.  We have a Mazda (used to be related to Ford) that has been flawless and runs like new, but to tow our trailer, I have to say the F-150 is very satisfactory.  I just set up the trailer back up system in our F-150 yesterday and it works like magic.  It was was easy to program and works really well.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 9:57pm
That back up system is something I want to try. The "invisible trailer" is a gimmick but the back up assist is something that would really be useful.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 6:17am
I'm curious about the Ford backup gizmo too, anyone have one? Gimmick? Useful? 

Re Mazda, the only non Toyota I've owned in the past 40 years was a Miata. Toyota doesn't really do sports cars. Great car but it killed my back, I'm done with sports cars now. Mazda is a good brand, not quite at the same level as Toyota in terms of long term reliability but closing in. As for purchase price, you have to look at total cost of ownership. Sure Toyotas cost a little more than most other makes but their resale values are higher too. I buy mostly gently used cars with 60-80K miles on them and keep them to around 190K. That misses most of the depreciation while keeping most of the useful life. With about a million miles and 7 (I think) Toyotas over 40 years I've never had a serious problem with any of them. The worst was my 95 Land Cruiser which lost a fuel injector to corrosion on the Outer Banks. That is a specialized vehicle and is built like a tank (part of my house literally fell on it, left a small dent) but it was a PITA to work on. People with small hands only need apply for maintenance work on those. Other than that, the worst problem I've had was a stuck thermostat in my old 83 mini class C. Can't complain.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 8:19am
The worst, a Triumph TR3, with Lucas Electric, the prince of darkness.

Ford's backing system works really well.  I was able to put the trailer's left wheel up on some blocks simply by watching in the mirror and aiming the backup dial.  Put it onto the 2x6's on the first try.  My prior practice was to back a little further than I wanted and pull forward up onto the boards.  It's going to take a bit of a learning curve, but that's not the system, but the user. 

Here's a video demo of the system.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tby3A29osDg
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 8:34am
Ah yes. Lucas Flash and Flicker. We had an MG a while back, and that thing was the opposite of reliable.

We've also had several Toyotas. We've never had an issue of any great importance with any of them. We've also had a couple of Fords. We might have gotten a Tundra instead of the F-150, but the F-150 had way more room, and close to 20% better fuel economy. We had owned a Tundra back in 2005, and it was very reliable; it just didn't get very respectable fuel economy.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Deepsouth252 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 8:49am
Good Memorial Day morning everyone. Walter and Laurie here. We live near Gulf Shores, Alabama. We just purchased a 2020 Rpod 196. We owned larger travel trailers for many years. We are older now and your situation chages as you get older. We no longer take long rv trips for weeks and at this time in our lives we needed a "Couples Camper". We sold our 32 foot Forest River Hemisphere back in July and have been researching smaller rigs since then. We lucked out and found our Rpod that had been traded in (previous owner bought new 6 months ago, verified) they traded it in on a Class C rig. Guys, this rig is just like brand new and we were able to save thousands over new. Previous owner was older like us and told me he only used it 2 times. Just wasn't for them. I was able to speak to the previous owner before I made my purchase. It also had an extended warranty the previous owner had purchased and was transferred to me. With the larger travel trailers we have owned it seemed as tho we were always having problems with parking at restaurants, gas stations and getting turned around after missed turns. I really enjoy this facebook page and I invite everyone to experience my home area in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Gulf Shores/Orange Beach is a paradise and very family friendly (not a college friendly hang out area). Check it out and Happy Trails!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>