Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIntroduce yourself

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Introduce yourself
    Posted: 03 May 2020 at 10:04am
As with the Highlander, the AWD versions of the Pilot with a tow package have a tow rating of 5000 lbs.  But that doesn't get you out of the wood for a heavier rPod because those ratings assume basically nothing is in the tow vehicle besides the driver, and because its typical for a larger rpod to have a significantly higher tongue weight than is stated by FR. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Andyrpod190 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 10:37am
Hi, the Pilot is a 4wd and is listed as 4500. Recommendation is to contain trailer to 3500 and insure passengers and cargo doesn't exceed 1000 pounds in Pilot.

Dry wt is 2750 or so in the R-pod and with filling the fresh water another 300 pounds so thats 3000.

We will keep pretty lean in the camper with maybe another 37 pounds for the 20 pound propane tank and 150 pounds of dishes / personal stiff in the camper we will be up to 3170. Add 6 gallons for the hot water heater so another 40 pounds so 3210 total.

That still gives us 1300 pounds for my wife and myself(our weight) and all other gear.

So I think we should be good. Do you agree?

Thank you for your comments... Still learning...

Andy
AC
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 11:22am
Andy, Many people pull a pod with a pilot. Just remember that you need to pack light and you should be fine. I tend to be a little bit of a heavy packer, and many times never even use it. Good luck and go slow, more important to get there, than to get there fast. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 11:48am
I think you are most likely underestimating. 

You need to add the battery weight, around 60 lbs for one, double for two, which you might want if you ever camp with no hookups. Water is 8.3 lbs per gallon so the water heater holds 50 lbs water. Are you always planning to camp where you have water and a dump station immediately available? If not each of the tanks holds 30 gals = 250 lbs of water. I just assume 250 lbs total and never refill the fresh tank unless I dump the other two.  

I'd be surprised if you can keep the weight down to 150 lbs personal stuff/food/supplies/tools. I can't. My 179 was listed at 2630 empty but comes in at 3750. Back then the TV, micro, and a/c were options so its not going to be that much of a difference for you. Still, I could never account for about 250 lbs so I suspect that FR is a bit optimistic in their specs. Also, any other options (like an awning) and any mods (like a better mattress) are not included. BTW, the FR website has the emplty weight of the 190 at 2979. 

With a 190 and a 4500 lb rated vehicle you are pushing it.  That's not to say its not possible, but I don't think it will be very comfortable. Get a good wdh/sway system.  Keep things as light as possible and try to be very conservative especially in the mountains and windy conditions, including the wind from truck traffic passing you on the highway. And do go through the process of weighing and checking that you're within all your specs. 

Good luck!
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 3:00pm
Welcome to the forum!

I think I remember from earlier threads the Forest River dry weight doesn't even include some things that come with the rpod (tv, microwave, fridge, electric tongue jack)? Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.  :)  My BMW x3 is rated for 5000 lb and my tow hitch is 3500. I stayed with the smallest rpod for because of weight.
On another part of your post, I spent a year (and too much money) sorting out the best way to carry my kayaks. I now have  a rach I think is terrific.  It is the Malone seawing with the stinger option.  this lets me load two kayaks side by side on top of my SUV...from the back.  I can do it myself. The stinger helps them slide into postilion without any risk of the sliding off the side and down the side of my vehicle.
Julie
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by EchoGale

Welcome to the forum!

I think I remember from earlier threads the Forest River dry weight doesn't even include some things that come with the rpod (tv, microwave, fridge, electric tongue jack)? Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.  

Looks like all that stuff is standard now as is the a/c, and the weight of one full propane tank is included.  rdome, awning, solar, and outdoor kitchen are options and not included. The battery(ies) are still not included, or any other dealer installed stuiff, or any water including the 50 lbs in the water heater. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 3:39pm
Read the Canadian part of the weight label, it includes the weight of the fresh water and "hot" water heater tanks full.  The trailer manufacturers have an incentive to minimize the weight and without some compulsory rules, aka regulations, they are going to be as vague as possible about what is included/not included in the weight of the trailer.  The 190, when loaded with normal user contents, will be surprisingly more heavy than one anticipates, even when the user tries to "travel light."
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 6:18pm
Welcome!
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
Andyrpod190 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 6:30am
Thank you all for the information. I am requesting that the dealer weigh the trailer and I will dig in to confirm that these items are not included in the weight listed on the trailer:
rdome, awning, solar, and outdoor kitchen are options and not included. The battery(ies) are still not included, or any other dealer installed stuff, or any water including the 50 lbs in the water heater. 

41 gallons of water = 340lbs
no Rdome
batteries (2) = 120 lbs
Awning = 100
Outdoor kitchen = 50 lbs (estimate)

If I use 3000 pound instead of the specs listed at 2785 for dry weight and add in these items I come up to 3,610 pounds.

That is 110 pounds over the ideal weight but I have a total towing capacity of 4500 pounds inclusive of passengers and cargo. That is another 900 pounds.

We weigh 300 pounds together and that gives us 600 pounds for food, etc... 

We can easily accommodate a couple bins for clothes, camper supplies well under the 600 pounds.

I agree it does not give an immense amount of extra room, but we also will be using a 'Blue Ox Sway Pro' and installing a transmission cooler and oil cooler in the pilot.

Am I missing anything else?

AC
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 7:24am
Yes, you are missing a couple of things. You need to know the actual tongue weight. With dual batteries propane, and water and a loaded trailer I'm pretty sure you will be over your max on the Pilot. The WDH doesn't allow you a higher tongue weight, it only rebalances things. 

Second, you should not exceed the MCGVWR (max combined gross vehicle weight rating of your Pilot. So, go weigh the Pilot as you want to load it, and add that to the total trailer weight to find the combined weight.

Third, I think you will find that travelling in a rig that is very close to maxed out is not a fun experience. I keep about 800 lbs below the MCGVWR with my rig. This is supposed to be fun, not a constant white knuckle adventure, right? Up to you of course but I'd either get a smaller trailer or a bigger TV.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>