FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIntroduce yourself

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Introduce yourself
    Posted: 03 May 2020 at 7:22am
Hello Rpod owners,
  My wife and I just bought our first Rpod and we are very excited to begin this new adventure.   We bought a used 2019 190 from a RV dealer in Rockford Illinois.  We are both avid cyclists and amateur kayakers and look forward to years of outdoor activities and camping. My first project will be outfitting our our pod with a bike rack and figuring out what to do with the kayaks?  all suggestions are appreciated. thanks for the help. 
Regards,
 Chuck and Diana
Lucky CHUCK :Y:
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 7:41am
Welcome and congrats. We love our pod, and have gone on many adventures each summer. I hope you will also.  You might want to avoid bike racks on the rear of the pod. As enticing as it is, it's not a great choice. The rear hitch is not very strong. It's a long running conversation, that some say you can. I think just taking a look at how it's constructed tends to say don't do it. I and many others, have gotten a tongue mount bike rack. I use the stromberg carlson bike bunk for my 2 bikes, and it's great. Kayaks are a whole different issue. Roof racks or ladder racks if you have a pick up truck,will be your best bet. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
chenschel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 8:01am
Mark,  
Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking the same thing!  The rear hitch doesn’t look like it’s any use for anything but the spare. And the back of any trailer gets tons of dirt and rain in inclement weather. A tongue mounted rack looks like the best solution. Kayaks may be going on the top of the Highlander. We are retiring this spring, so we hope to do a lot of traveling as soon as we can get done sheltering in place. 
Our kids are in Oregon and Washington so we are headed to the great Northwest!
Cheers,  Chuck 
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 8:32am
Welcome.

I tow my 179 with a Highander. It works but I keep things light as possible (except for water, I boondock so I travel with a full fresh water tank). Looking at what you are planning I think you will be pushing it with that tow vehicle. You'll be surprised how fast the weight adds up in both the TV and trailer. Your Highlander is AWD I hope, FWD does not work well for towing. 

I suggest that you weigh your rig as you want to travel and see where you are before adding the bikes and kayaks. Load up as you want to travel and go to a public scale. You can use the search feature of this forum to get a weighing procedure I wrote up in a couple of posts that will give you the weight on each axle, the total weight, and the tongue weight. There is also a link there for a towing calculator that you can load your specs into and will tell you how far you are over or under on each.

Also, I suggest that you get a weight distribution hitch (after you do the weighing, don't have the wdh tensioned up when you go through the scales). 

Happy and safe travels!

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Andyrpod190 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 8:44am
Hi there!

Andy here and my wife and I are in the process of purchasing a 2021 R-Pod 190. Getting it in a couple weeks and glad I joined the forum. Will try to follow advise and add a more secure tie to the black water tank drain or empty spot as many seem to suggest.

Will also be looking to add a bike rack and interested to understand what is needed for 2 mtn bike. I assume the best way is to get a hitch attachment between camper and car?

We will be using a 2012 Honda Pilot Touring to pull this camper. I have been advised to get a "Blue Ox Sway Pro" for leveling and equalizing weight distribution. Will also be installing brake controller and wiring for the power(to charge the battery and brake wires with a 7 way round charge line.

Looks like I should research better tires for the camper and bring along a few wrenches and zip ties as needed for any sudden repairs...

Anything else come to mind?

The 2021 comes with a central vac so that should be handy.

Thank you and happy camping!
AC
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 8:54am
Welcome!

Take a look at my post just above, I think the same weight issues will apply to your Pilot as to the Highlander. You will want a weight distribution/sway control hitch but it doesn't have to be a Blue Ox. There are several manufacturers and if you check the discussions on this and other forums there are plenty of folks who favor one over another for various reasons. IMHO the Blue Ox stuff is overpriced. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
chenschel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 8:55am
Offgrid,
We will be traveling pretty light. We have ultralight bikes and kayaks will go on top of the 2016 Highlander. I have plenty of experience weighing trailer axels from pulling a construction trailer. But thanks for the warning,we appreciate your help. 
Chuck 
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 9:19am
Originally posted by chenschel

Offgrid,
We will be traveling pretty light. We have ultralight bikes and kayaks will go on top of the 2016 Highlander. I have plenty of experience weighing trailer axels from pulling a construction trailer. But thanks for the warning,we appreciate your help. 
Chuck 
I see that you have stated you have towing experience, so I don't mean to be condescending. Many people think that putting cargo in the tow vehicle doesn't count as "towing weight". Cargo Weight is weight, no matter where it's located as far as total towing weight. Many people also forget that payload capacity is effected by the camper as well. placing 450 pounds of tongue weight on the T.V. has to be considered on lower payload rated vehicles. One must consider weight on both sides of the hitch. I'm sure someone will disagree with this, but I think it's true. All that said, I see many people using vehicles similar to yours pulling r-pods, so you're probably ok. I just wanted to offer this incase you didn't know it already. I find that the supposed experts in this business, dealers, hitch installers etc. aren't very helpful at explaining this. Again, good luck, and enjoy the pod. 
BTW, IMO tires, and reinforcing black tube are a great start. That's a good start for any camper, not just pods. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 9:50am
chenschel, sounds good. As mjlrpod says, many dealers tend to gloss over these issues. To be expected, after all they are trying to sell you something. Sadly, we've had several folks ask questions on this forum who have no experience, haven't been warned about overloaded tow vehicles and are trying to tow way too much with way to little. 

The hitch weight on my 179 comes in around 500 lbs just for comparison, pretty much maxing out the hitch capacity of the Highlander. That's with a full fresh water tank, dual golf cart batteries, and one full propane tank.  Otherwise a light load. I keep any load the TV load light too, with any significant weight in the TV up against the front seat backs to keep the rear axle within specs. As I'm sure you know a weight distribution hitch doesn't actually increase the hitch weight capacity of a TV. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 9:51am
Andy, what is the towing capacity of the Honda Pilot?  If I am not mistaken the weight of the 190 and its cargo is in the neighborhood of 3700 pounds.  I googled Honda Pilot and its towing capacity is stated to be 3500 pounds.  Even with a lot of upgrades for towing capacity, are you still maintaining a safe margin of capacity to actual gross weight of everything including passengers, stuff, fuel, etc.?  The new larger rPods are really nice trailers, but they are much heavier than the original rPods that focused on a minimalist market.  Best of luck and enjoy your trailer.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>