R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2020 190 R-POD issue with power switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2020 190 R-POD issue with power switch
    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 8:40pm
Fellow R-POD owners... I'm happy that I purchased my new 2020 190 R-POD (love it), but it's so new that none of the other R-PODs had this "red" Power on/off switch.. I purchased a new Prodigy Remote Brake controller with my camper - it connects to my 2011 Toyota Sequoia.  Here's the issue, the Remote will not connect (flashes n.c.) until I switched the power off on the camper..then everything worked.   Now it seems that it's almost as designed... The RV dealer confirmed that the wiring is correct, all the lights work.  I understand the reason for the Power switch, in the off season, I'll be able to store the camper, without draining the battery... but the question is this... anyone else having this issue?  Is this just that new, no one has seen it (yet)? 
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 5:47am
I've never used the Prodigy RF brake controller but it looks like it will throw an NC error on the remote whenever the voltage is too low to the power module on the trailer. That power is supposed to be coming from the TV via the 7 pin connector, but that line is also connected to your trailer battery, or at least it is on trailers that don't have the power on/off switch.  You could either check the voltage at the brake power module directly with a voltmeter or be sure your trailer battery is fully charged from the battery charger and see if that helps. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 8:55am
I don't know if you have watched any videos on this unit, but it sounds to me like it's working. It's a complicated device in my opinion. Start the vehicle, and plug in the remote.  You should NOT have the pod plugged in when you begin to set it up. It should flash n.c. The power wheel should be turned all the way down (clockwise as you look at it). Then press and hold both buttons (on left, and top right) at the same time and watch the display count down from P5 to PA. Then you release 2 buttons, and hold the foot brake down. The display should now change to flashing zero's.  Take your foot off the brake. Now turn right side power wheel counter clockwise 2 or 3 turns. It should be flashing n.c. now. Go plug in the 7 pin camper plug into the unit now. The remote should read .c. . Now when you press the left button, the manual brake button, you will see a number, like 4.1 or any number. You can adjust the right power wheel higher or lower to the power you need.  I found these directions online and don't know if you were doing this or not. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
RP0DLife View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 12:07pm
Thanks mjlrpod - correct I did watch the video and myself and the tech at the RV dealership.. did exactly what you stated... and it would go to ".c" (connected), then the minute you press on the brake... the remote went to ".n.c" (not connected)... now here's the odd thing... As long as I leave the POWER switch on the RPOD - OFF , the remote braking system works fine (.c -connected) - I have calls to ForestRiver and Prodigy and no one has a good answer.... 

Maybe - it's designed to be that way - that you can't have a power source running on the camper while the Prodigy is "turned-on" and connected? 
RP0DLife View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 12:10pm
It's a new battery - it's putting our 12.6 volts.  I have checked the voltage and everything is reading correctly.... Also we shut off the TV - antenna signal (thinking that was the issue)- didn't help... thanks for the info...
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 2:56pm
I don't know what the power switch is, so hard to help. Your sure that the "off" position might not be the "on" position? The brakes are electric and obviously can't work without power. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 6:49pm
Have you tried calling the tech support folks at Tekonsha? They were great when I called them with a question about my controller. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
RP0DLife View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 8:37pm
I have, I'm working with a tech person at Tekonsha and I'm working with a tech person at R-POD as well... Thought I would put it out to the R-POD community, thinking that someone else may have run into this situation.

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 10:17pm
Just a stray idea. Check the voltage to the remote controller RIGHT AT THE POINT IT'S CONNECTED. If the controlled produces n.c. for a low voltage condition it may be the voltage at the point of connection really is going low. One explanation might be the trailer, with the power switch on, is drawing more current from the TV, thus pulling the voltage down. Could be the TT battery needs charging and is drawing current from the TV. Could be the connection to the TV is faulty, i.e. the connector is loose/dirty/defective.  
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 6:19am
I agree with CharlieM's suggestion if you can access that voltage supply right at the brake power module. I know its unlikely because your trailer battery is reading a good voltage, but its worth a try. Based on your symptoms it seems like it either has to be low voltage at the power module or RF noise. To check for RF interference you could try temporarily placing the remote right next to the power module. Any source of 12V should work to power up the remote temporarily. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply