Topic ClosedConsidering an R-Pod 190

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Considering an R-Pod 190
    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 9:49pm
Congratulations! I hope you have many fun adventures with your RPod and make many great memories with it. Thumbs Up
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 9:35am
I have a Classic Accessories cover that fits my pod beautifully. I bought my 2016 pod used and it came with the basic one that disintegrated earlier this year.  I replaced it with their mid grade that has a lifetime warranty and I'm very happy. I also managed to hit an excellent sale. I'm very happy with it and wouldn't think of leaving my pod uncovered, but then mine sits in the Florida sun.

You're going to love your Rpod!

Julie
Julie
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by EchoGale

.... and wouldn't think of leaving my pod uncovered...

Julie

I'm gonna leave this one alone....

Wink
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
vbdomenico View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 11:49pm
The main reason I want a cover is that I plan on parking it in my driveway, and I have a couple of 70 year old oak trees that make a mess of anything below them. I guess it will depend on how hard it is to get a cover off and on.
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 7:59am
Congrats on the 190. If you want to get off to a good start, i'm going to give you 2 good places to start. First, I would make sure you either get an Progressive EMS-HW30C or equivalent surge protector. I suggest the hardwire because you do it once, then forget about it. You will never accidentally forget to use it, or leave it anywhere. I would also reinforce the black tank hanger before it breaks. It's a well known problem that will happen at some point. I know I said 2 things, but I personally always recommend taking off the brand spanking new set of ummmm, let's call them not so good tires, and replace them with a set of "D or E " rated Carlisle or endurance tires. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 9:19am
If you don't want to go with a hard-wired surge protector, I recommend instead a Hughes Autoformer. This does more than a surge protector and even more than a circuit analyzer. It will boost low voltage to keep your appliances (e.g. Air conditioner) running well if you are in a place with power that sags due to excess demand. The Booster is not hard-wired, but they do have an internal hard-wire kit ($69 on the Hughes site). They do have surge protectors and automatic shutoff surge protectors, both dog-bone and hard-wired. Shop around though as you may find it at a lower price or Hughes may have a sale. I got mine when it was on sale, but it was still expensive compared to a simple surge protector. However, it does so much more. Plus the surge protection part of it can be replaced for $32 (current price on the Hughes Autoformers site).
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 9:49am
Thanks again everyone.

Stephen, are you talking about 30 am Booster and Surge Protector: 
https://hughesautoformers.com/product/30-amp-3600-watt-booster-with-surge/

If so where do you place it if you hardwire it?  Also, I will more often than not be either using a generator, or plugging into a standard 120 outlet as the main use for my R-pod will be work, and I will be parking at job sites not campgrounds.  Will the booster help when using a 120 adapter?

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 9:52am
I meant to type 110 outlet...
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 10:07am
Originally posted by vbdomenico

Thanks again everyone.

Stephen, are you talking about 30 am Booster and Surge Protector: 
https://hughesautoformers.com/product/30-amp-3600-watt-booster-with-surge/

If so where do you place it if you hardwire it?  Also, I will more often than not be either using a generator, or plugging into a standard 120 outlet as the main use for my R-pod will be work, and I will be parking at job sites not campgrounds.  Will the booster help when using a 120 adapter?

That is the one I have. I have not hard-wired it because I have not figured out where to put it if I do. There are two possibilities:

1. On the 179, the power inlet is located at the rear corner behind a removable panel below the shelf under to the right of the sink. It could potentially go there. It could be boxed off and a piece of acrylic or polycarbonate plastic used to make a window to view the lights.

2. Also, there is space behind the power panel in the 179. It could potentially mount there. However, it is unlikely that a window could be made to view the status lights.

I'm not sure where it could be mounted in the 190 because I have not seen how one of those is laid out. If the power input is in the rear corner as in the 179, then it looks like one could be mounted in the rear pass-through under the dinette.

As for 110V adapter, I'm not sure what you mean. Are you referring to an adapter for plugging into a 15A outlet? If so, I am not sure. That would be a question for Hughes. It is meant to be plugged into a 30A outlet. I would not expect a 15A outlet to be optimal. You would not be able to run the AC reliably on 15A, especially if the converter is also charging the battery.  I have not tested it with the Generac iX2000 that I have yet. I will probably do that now that you asked the question. I think it would still boost the voltage, but it might increase the amperage needed, which would have the possibility of tripping a 15A breaker. I guess the answer would depend on what you would intend to operate. Some things are voltage-sensitive and sagging voltage is not good for them. The AC is one such item.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 10:19am
How do you protect it from rain?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>