R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHardwired Surge Guard Protector 192 - Event Date: 18 Apr 2020

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Hardwired Surge Guard Protector 192
    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 5:56pm

Hello all 

I am a newbie and this is my first mod post Big smile.  

We recently purchased a 192 and I installed a Hardwired Southwire Surge Guard Protector.  Below are the steps I took to install.  I am not an electrician nor a professional installer so always ensure you are aware of what you are doing, and always read the instructions before you begin Thumbs Up     Pics uploaded will explain it all...I hope

After ensuring all power was disconnected prior to beginning, I removed the vacuum to find the shore power cord (don't remove the electrical panel like I did, as access is FAR better behind the vacuum).  There is lots of space in the electrical area which makes it easy to find the 30a plug with the orange power cord.  

I decided to install the Surge Guard on the wall panel to the left, just under the fridge.    Remember no power to the trailer...  I cut and stripped the wire ensuring enough slack in the length so I could install in my desired location.  Following the Surge Guard instructions I connected the wires to the Line and Load connections, placing the plastic covers on and for safety sake I wrapped electrical tape over the covers so they wouldn't fall off.

Using wood screws long enough to bite into the side panel and frame without driving straight through, I fastened the unit (always double check what you are screwing or drilling into. You might penetrate hoses, electrical, tanks etc!!).  At this point I plugged the trailer into shore power noting the lights on the Surge Guard came on, and after 128 second delay the power came on throughout the trailer.  After ensuring all was good I disconnected from shore power.

As the unit is behind the wall, the remote was necessary.  To install this I drilled a hole into the cabinet above the stove hood and fed the remote wire down the wall beside the fridge using fish tape, exiting at the fridge external access panel.  I then drilled another hole in the bottom of the fridge cabinet directly into the open electrical area, running the wire to the unit.  Ensure the wire isn't anywhere close to hot surfaces on the back of the fridge.

The remote is designed to be flush mounted but I didn't want to cut a monster hole in my cupboard, so i drilled a hole beside the thermostat just large enough for the remote wire to fit (think telephone plug).  To hide the original hole in the cabinet I used a telephone wire block and ran the wire through it and along the bottom of the cabinet hiding it with wire channel.  I trimmed a small section of the cabinet cover plate on the other end of the cabinet (so wire wouldn't be pinched).

I cut rectangle wire channel the same size as the sides of the remote to give a finished look (will use something else later) and screwed the remote to the cabinet.  

Filled the external hole with Dicor (back of fridge), Re-energized the trailer, tested and all good Clown

Dave & Tami
Or is that
Tami & Dave?
2020 rpod 192
2013 F-150
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 5:44pm
I installed the Surge Guard on our 190.  I was able to install next to the electric service panel.  Works like a charm!
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
New92 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 8:46pm
Great!
I like the hardwire unit... one less thing to forget or remember

Did you wire in the remote?
Dave & Tami
Or is that
Tami & Dave?
2020 rpod 192
2013 F-150
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 6:24pm
No, didn't have a remote.
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
 Post Reply Post Reply