R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGas mileage while towing R-pod 151

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas mileage while towing R-pod 151
    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 10:13am
I have driven that route many times.  The Hammet hill really sucks the gas.  I have found my Ram PU gets between 9 and 13.  Check the speed rating for your tires - you will be amazed at how low the top speed is.  I now have E load rated tires with a speed rating of the mid 70s.  I like a little cushion for safety.
My truck seems to like 62 mph.  You never have to pass anyone and the road is always clear in front of you.  Don't try to speed up going uphill.
Medicine Wolf View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 10:24am
Thanks john! 
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 10:45am
Originally posted by StephenH

...When we were driving out west with an 80 mph speed limit, I was still driving at 60 mph. That paid off when we had our accident in Wyoming. It turns out that the legal towing speed limit in Wyoming is 60 mph, so I was not cited when we hit the ice with the crosswind. It was written up as unavoidable.

I'd be curious as to what the consensus is regarding driving 70-75mph while towing.  I keep it at/under 65 (less in a crosswind) based on recommendations from users on another forum.
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 10:52am
60-62 for me, faster just burns fuel for a slight time savings. I'm not in a hurry anyway. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 11:06am
If you do a search for towing speed limits, there is a wide variety of speed limits by states. Some, like California, NY and NJ have a 55 mph towing speed limit. That seems to be almost universally disregarded, especially on the Interstates with the exception of a few like me. I think it is dangerous to drive much faster anyway. If you think that 5th wheels are immune to sway, then you havent' see some of the videos I have which almost always end badly. One thing that I can say about our 'Pods is that the lower, wider stance makes them a bit better in crosswind situations, especially if one has a good WD hitch with sway control or other manual or electronic sway control.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 11:21am
55 for me, unless I have a big rig riding my tail, then I may go up to 56, due to the push of air from behind.  

For our maiden voyage returning from Las Vegas to home, through a nasty storm with awful headwinds all the way, we still got 14 mpg, according to the truck's computer.  Right now the computer says we're getting 24.1 mpg, but that doesn't include towing the trailer home from down south.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 1:45pm
For us, 55 is a bit on the slow side, and I push it, but not too much. I will usually split the difference between 55 and 60. Call it 57.5. Maybe a little faster or slower depending on traffic. I am definitely not in a hurry when I'm camping.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 3:45pm
I just set the cruise control at 55 and since it has a crash avoidance thingy, I just get out a good novel and get there when I get there.*  Wink

*[for those who tend to be literal, I'm just kidding.  I only read the Senate congressional record - it keeps me awake]
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 5:13pm
We keep our speed at 60 and our gas mileage doesn't drop that much.  Properly inflated tires helps too.
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
foadman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 11:37am
StephenH - Another subject - I'm 75 years old and concerned about traveling and having a flat - saw your axle riser 2 X 6 jacking block on another post. I would sincerely appreciate it you could provide a dimensioned sketch so that I can have one made up. I know that if I called AAA for road service that they would probably damage my axle attempting to help me.  ps looked at all your impressive R Pod modification - thanks, definately you are the Macgyver of the R Pod world!!!!
bmiller
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>