Topic ClosedUrgent Petition To Keep RV Campgrounds Open

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 16>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Urgent Petition To Keep RV Campgrounds Open
    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 3:52pm
The data emerging is incredible. The cruise ships seem to be statistically large enough samples to rely on as they all have been stuck together (controlled) on the ship until everyone is accounted for and tested. 

Quote from CNN on the Diamond Princess:

"Of the 712 passengers and crew members of the ship who tested positive for coronavirus, 331 -- or 46.5% -- were asymptomatic at the time of testing, the CDC said."

Being asymptomatic is a big problem for obvious reasons and it seems like many on the ships are/were. You gotta consider that in some of these countries like China, if you get the virus and the symptoms are manageable at home your'e probably not going to want the government to know or your'e too poor to seek treatment, etc. 

Who knows how many self-treat at home cases there will be that go unidentified. In many poor countries they have no choice but to ride it out. Let's see what happens in India. I've been in some hospitals in SE Asia where you may as well be at home! Patients lying in bed wearing street clothes and their family brings them food, etc.

Testing negative today doesn't mean you won't contract it tomorrow and be asymptomatic (or even as you leave the testing facility!). I can see how someone testing negative may have a false sense of security. 

The results of the test are only good for up to the moment the test was taken.

I can also see some people who contract it and recover thinking they have immunity then become lackadaisical with social distancing and sanitation because they figure "it's your problem now..."

That's why everyone, infected or not, needs to behave as if they are infected until two steps occur in this order: 1) an effective antiviral is developed to treat current cases; 2) vaccine developed to prevent new cases. Not that everyone has to freak out, but do the best with the social distancing and sanitation guidelines. 

Where I live the only thing keeping some covidiots home is the fact that everything is closed and they have nothing to do or nowhere to go. 

2019 R-Pod 191
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Wirat

Where I live the only thing keeping some covidiots home is the fact that everything is closed and they have nothing to do or nowhere to go. 

Covidiots, gotta love it...LOL
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 4:37pm
Reports are that the generation being currently conceived will be called, in 2033, the quaranteens.

No, I didn't come up with that one...
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 5:20pm
+1 to covidiots.  Thumbs Up
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by offgrid

I like the presentation on this site:

One benefit of this site is that you can view the graphical data by either linear or log plot. When something is increasing exponentially like Covid-19 cases are many places, the eye is not good at assessing whether or not things are still accelerating or beginning to slow down when plotted linearly. On a log plot its pretty easy to see if measures are having an impact or not. An exponential increase will look like a sloped straight line on a log plot. 

Our case data for instance is sadly still showing a sloping straight line so we haven't seen any real reduction in the rate of infections yet. Italy's infection rate appears to be beginning to flatten out finally. Spain might be starting to, a little.  S Korea and China have horizontal log plots which means they have things under control right now.
I trust South Korea's stats. I don't trust China's stats. Undercurrent buzz is that thie numbers are getting better, not because they are having less infections, but because they are not testing and therefore are reporting no new infections even though people are still dying over there.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 8:32am
Originally posted by StephenH

I trust South Korea's stats. I don't trust China's stats. Undercurrent buzz is that thie numbers are getting better, not because they are having less infections, but because they are not testing and therefore are reporting no new infections even though people are still dying over there.

I'm sure that China's lockdowns have resulted in far less infections. Lockdowns do work to slow this, we know that. If China had continued exponentially as it had originally and as we are right now there would be millions of infections there now and that could not be concealed. Whether or not their current status is as good as they claim is another story. If you have a relatively low level of infections and limit testing this disease is pretty easy to conceal, at least for awhile. 

There was an article I read yesterday regarding why Russia's numbers are so low, the suspicion being that they are recording covid19 deaths as pneumonia.  Of course, it is true that what folks actually die of with this disease mostly is pneumonia. Its the cause of the pneumonia that's important. So if you  don't test and so don't "know" the cause of the pneumonia it makes it very easy to put your finger on the scale, at least until the freight train hits you. 

This wouldn't be the first time either. My grandfather was an iron miner in the UP and his death in the 1930's was recorded by the mining company doctor as pneumonia when everyone knew he had silicosis.

I would expect the same reporting issue unintentionally from many countries with weak health systems. The won't know that the higher than normal case load of pneumonia is covid19 unless they have test kits, and they don't. 

The US is reporting around 70000 cases now, so we are probably within a couple of days of exceeding both Italy's and China's reported cases.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 9:29am
Originally posted by Pod_Geek

Reports are that the generation being currently conceived will be called, in 2033, the quaranteens.

No, I didn't come up with that one...

I heard they will be the Coronials or the Coronial Generation.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 7:57pm
Julie
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 9:51am
To mask or not to mask, that is the question.

Yesterday there was some commotion about a new report arguing that safe distance to minimize covid19 transmission is around 24-27 feet, not 6 feet as per current CDC guidelines. We had Dr Fauci saying on live TV that was "terribly misleading". Here is the actual article in JAMA.

The author is a fluid dynamicist at MIT who leads a team doing physical applied math focussed on the mechanisms of disease transmission. Dr Fauci is a medical doctor. Who do you think understands the physics of aerosols and droplets better? 

The 6 foot distance is based on studies from the 1930's. Since it is impractical to maintain a 27 foot distance, and obviously impossible for health care workers,  the article recommends wearing masks and development of improved mask designs.

This and all the buzz that the CDC is "reconsidering" the use of masks in reducing coronavirus transmission suggests to me that we are being prepped for revised recommendations to wear masks when out in public, just like they do in the East Asian countries that have more or less had success containing this pandemic. Many of the public health folks in those countries think we're crazy not to wear masks. 

Bottom line, I have a few masks available, and I wear one when I'm out.  I don't care if people look at me like I've got Ebola or the zombie plague. I might avoid catching this disease or, since 25 plus percent of people who get it never have symptoms, and most everyone is asymptomatic but contagious for a couple of days, I just might avoid spreading this to someone else who could die as a result.

Just my $0.02

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 11:25am
Here is the ultimate protection:
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172