R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater Heater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Heater
    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 3:13pm
First trip in my 180.  It is great for me and the dog, but my hot water is basically lukewarm.  The unit sparked several times when I first filled and turned it on, but the red light on the info panel went off and it started warming, but didn't get hot.  I thought it needed time.  It's windy.  Would wind blow out the flame?  What else should I check? 
John
'16 R-Pod 180
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 4:53pm
If the 180 has an outdoor shower make sure both valves for the shower are in the off (closed) position.  It they are not that will cause what you are experiencing.  Enjoy your R-Pod.
Jay

179/2019
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 5:14pm
Check that your bypass is shut all the way off. A halfway open bypass could cause warm water as more cold water bypasses the water heater, than hot water coming out of it. I assume you've gone outback and verified that the heater ignited. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 10:47pm
Yes, the heater runs occasionally, but not for long. 

The outdoor shower (dog bath) is not leaking, but I'll check the valves. 

Oh, just noticed this PM the info panel shows the fresh water tank is full, but I've not added any water to it.  I'm connected to city water. 

Thanks!
John
'16 R-Pod 180
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 6:14am
First I'd ensure tank is indeed full. If it is filling while on city water the check valve in water pump is likely culprit. You can try fixing that by cycling water pump on and off by opening faucets. If that doesn't fix, they sell rebuild kits for the water pump or of course new pumps. I don't think either has much to do with warm water issue. The valves in partial position seems more likely.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 7:11am
+1 to mcarter. 

If you determine that the bypass valves are closed and the water heater has been on for an hour or two then your water should be hot. If you suspect the propane system isn't working right you could try connecting to 120 Vac and running the water heater on electric to see if that gets hot.  There is a switch on the heater itself accessible from the outside panel that has to be on, as does the circuit breaker for the water heater in the electric panel. The propane and electric water heating systems are completely independent and neither one has an adjustable thermostat. Both are set high enough to scald you if you're not careful. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 9:38am
If you're connected to city water I don't see how the water pump could be the culprit.  It seems far more likely that you don't have the bypass valves adjusted correctly.  Since this is you first trip in your Pod, let me ask, do you understand about the water heater bypass valves?  And have you confirmed they are in the proper positions?

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 3:55pm
I am connected to both 120V and city water. No, I am not sure of my valve alignment. It is back in the positions they were in before I winterized it, I think. I have no diagrams to use to confirm. My heater has no electric heating element.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 4:05pm
Look at your valve handles.  They indicate the flow direction.  You want them positioned so that they send the water to and out of your water heater.  

If you have an OEM water heater, it normally comes with an electric heat element.  You probably already know this, but just in case:  Look below/behind the gas valve for a flat toggle switch and just to it's right for a rubber roundish cover that sticks out about 5/8th", if those are there, you probably have an electric heating element.  You can also check your AC circuit breakers for a breaker for the water heater.  And, if you look at the water heater, if it has an electric heat element, you'll see an AC romex wire going to it.  If it doesn't get hot with the breaker and toggle switch in the on position, the element may be burned up, which can happen really fast if there's no water in the tank.  On the other hand, you may have an after market water heater with gas only and the electric lines abandoned.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
mdballou View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 4:24pm
Also, I made the mistake and did not have the camper level for the gas to heat the water. Need to be real close to level.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>