FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLong distance towing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long distance towing
    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 2:27pm
2010 Rpod 151
I'm quitting my job at the end of MArch and plan to do around 5k miles towing with my 2016 Tacoma...maybe more...Just traveling...I just had the bearings greased in October and it has been stationary since.... I will put new tires on before I leave.. Anything else I should be aware of? Should I buy a grease gun and re-grease every 1500 miles? The camper has been towed probably less than 2.5 k in its lifetime so far..Thanks
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 2:33pm
The hubs should be good for the trip. We have done several long-distance trips and not had to grease the hubs except for once a year. The last time was when the axle was replaced last year, and we have only had two trips to Florida (about 3,200 miles total. We are looking to do about 10,000+ miles this year (NC to Alaska and back via indirect routing). Other than making sure they are well lubed before we leave, I do not expect a need to grease them while on the road. OTOH, we carry a grease gun because I do need to grease my Hensley Cub hitch daily.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 4:24pm
Agree with StephenH.  We grease our 177 bearings 1x/year in the spring before all the travel.  We have owned it for 9 years and this past summer decided with the amount of miles to change out the bearings and races, really wasn't necessary but did anyway as I had already spent the $ 20 for new bearings and seals.  Took about 1 hour per side to complete.  Enjoy your trip, enjoy all the scenery, enjoy life.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 7:09pm
I think you have to be careful with greasing. Once you have greased to the point you have grease exiting the seals, you can enhance issues instead of preventing issues. Can have negative effects on brakes and other wheel elements. Doesn't do any good to break seal integrity and over grease. IMHO.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 8:58pm
If done correctly, the rear double-seal should force the grease forward where it can exit. However, the seals can fail. I had it happen to me. It might have been my fault as I did change grease types and then when I read that it shouldn't be done, changed back. If one stays with the red lithium grease, one should be okay as long as one follows the instructions on how to use the Super Lube hubs properly. See Lippert's instructions here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s34pBejcQn0

Lippert would not recommend this method if it would be likely to compromise the seals.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 7:34am
I'm a bit over cautious and do carry a grease gun (mini style) and a set of bearings. My tool/repair kit has most everything I may need to handle what could occur (short of major failure). Yet I tend to travel for months and mostly off the beaten path. 

I have a Pre-departure check list which basically is a systems check, suspension check, bearings, tires, battery, hitch and so forth.

One has mechanical tools, pilers, sockets, screw drivers, and so forth. The other is electrical and misc parts. Wire strippers, connecters, fuses, duct tape and so forth. I look for tools that have multi purpose. A screw driver that has interchangeable bits, my hammer is a dual head mallet, Vise grip over standard pilers, and so on..

How you prepare is according to how you will travel. What I carry is over-kill for most, yet I can spend a day traveling a road (paved or not) and see only a few of vehicles (much being without cell service). You, may never do such a crazy thing as this..

Just a couple thoughts on the subject.
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 8:06am
I carry a Harbor Freight Tool Kit with Case sets. In addition, I carry a Harbor Freight Torque Wrench for the wheel lug nuts. I also carry a Breaker Bar which is helpful for the truck wheels as well. I have a couple of extensions to use with either tool. I carry a small trolley jack since bottle jacks don't fit very well under the R-Pod if a tire is flat and I bent a car's scissors jack the one time I tried to use it to jack up the RPod. Some miscellaneous elecrtical tools are added to the ones I carry also. I haven't carried spare bearings or seals, but that may be something I will need to do on this long trip. I had to buy a tool to remove the seals, but it is in my tool box at home. It may migrate to the RPod before this long trip we intend to take.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 11:55am
Originally posted by StephenH

I carry a Harbor Freight Tool Kit with Case sets. In addition, I carry a Harbor Freight Torque Wrench for the wheel lug nuts. I also carry a Breaker Bar which is helpful for the truck wheels as well. I have a couple of extensions to use with either tool. I carry a small trolley jack since bottle jacks don't fit very well under the R-Pod if a tire is flat and I bent a car's scissors jack the one time I tried to use it to jack up the RPod. Some miscellaneous elecrtical tools are added to the ones I carry also. I haven't carried spare bearings or seals, but that may be something I will need to do on this long trip. I had to buy a tool to remove the seals, but it is in my tool box at home. It may migrate to the RPod before this long trip we intend to take.

Ya, I also carry breaker bar (so many uses) and my torque wench. I have a decent scissor jack in the truck that runs on a 3/4" socket. Speaking which, do buy a quality deep 3/4", don't want to break a cheap one on the road.. (I'm 3/4" on all my lugs TV/TT, leveler jacks and something else not coming to mind). I'm running just under 90lbs in tools alone.. Embarrassed
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply