R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Space heater trips inverter breaker (R-Pod 195)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Space heater trips inverter breaker (R-Pod 195)
    Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 6:09pm
It would take a mongo solar power to run a space heater on 120VAC. A 12amp breaker would trip at around 1400 watts or so. If the space heater is 1500-2000 watts, then forgetaboutit. 

If the panel(s) are 12V, the load would be pretty large; something like 120 amps. That would be a solar array like you would use on a house, not an RV.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 7:45am
Originally posted by Pod_Geek

Originally posted by TheBum

Are you sure he didn't say "CONverter"? A solar charging system would need to have a converter to adjust the solar voltage to a battery charging level. An inverter would jump the solar power input up to 110 VAC.

No...I pasted the verbatim reply in my post.  I did ask them for clarification.

It is confusing, because the inverter would take 12V DC battery power and output 120V AC, so there is some reason to believe that the outlets could be powered by solar via the battery.  The solar panels of course produce 12V DC that is stored in the battery.  Still, why would the system use the 120V AC from the inverter when there is shore power available, especially when there's a 12-Amp limit on the inverter?

Okay, I think I mis-read earlier. I see the 12a fuse as part of the inverter now. Is this correct?
If so, makes sense, 1000w inverter would only produce 9amps at 110v's. 

Path of power: Solar panel > Controller > Battery > Inverter > outlet or appliance.
Take the panel or the controller  (or both) out of the equation, the battery still runs the inverter. Remove the Battery or inverter, no appliances run. 

With this only being a 1000w inverter, it wouldn't surprise me that only 'a' outlet is wired to it. 

Add shore power to mix. Most all inverters quality inverters will only produce (send power) if they do not read another source, much like an auto transfer switch. If FR says to shut it off while on shore power, do so. That questions the quality of the inverter though.. 

If the brand/model number comes up, we can answer the pertaining questions.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod_Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 11:06am
Ok...I think I finally get it.

Inverter is WFCO WF-5110R (FR sent me the manual).  

Shore Power first passes through the Inverter.  Any outlets on the circuit connected to the inverter are limited to 12A due to the Inverter breaker, which will be the first to trip (as I experienced).

Some outlets will work off the inverter when not on shore power if the inverter is on, which it probably wasn't (althogh see note from FR tech support below).  Current draw would be limited to around 8 Amps (1000 watt/120V).  I say some outlets because the fridge outlet is on the GFCI circuit and is supposed to work only on propane/shore power.

WFCO Tech Support suggests always leaving the Inverter on.

Here is the latest from FR tech support:

The solar panel powers the invertor and the invertor powers the GFI’s so I’m sorry there is no switch on the controller. If the invertor isn’t getting enough power from the solar panel then it will not power the GFI’s. 

That would imply that the inverter will not run purely off battery power (e.g., at night if boondocking).  Really???  We shall see.

Lastly, again from FR:

This is currently a new system for us so we are learning right along with you.

Further comments/questions/concerns welcome, as you guys are a smart bunch.  Thanks for the feedback so far.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 11:22am
Can you post a picture of your solar controller? Many have an inverter switch or selection on them.

the owners manual you linked says the inverter comes with a switch and a 20 foot cable.. but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for Bob at the factory to bin those and wire it straight in some manner..

However.. if the tech is recommending it be "left on".. that implies it can be shut off. That is the correct answer, if left on, it has a steady draw, just idling.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 11:46am

Ok...I think I finally get it.

Inverter is WFCO WF-5110R (FR sent me the manual).  

Shore Power first passes through the Inverter.  Any outlets on the circuit connected to the inverter are limited to 12A due to the Inverter breaker, which will be the first to trip (as I experienced).

Is this what the Tech said? No reason for this. The inverter comes off the battery yet does supply the same outlet that shore-power will. Shore-power comes on the switch in the inverter activates, no power passing from the inverter.

Some outlets will work off the inverter when not on shore power if the inverter is on, 

This makes sense.

which it probably wasn't (althogh see note from FR tech support below).  Current draw would be limited to around 8 Amps (1000 watt/120V).  

Agreed. 1000 watts / 120v = 8.33 amps. 
I say some outlets because the fridge outlet is on the GFCI circuit and is supposed to work only on propane/shore power.

WFCO Tech Support suggests always leaving the Inverter on.

Subject to how long you will be away from your camper, what is running (or would be) by the inverter if you lose Shore-Power and of course SOC of your battery & capability there of.

Here is the latest from FR tech support:

The solar panel powers the invertor I call BS on this one and the invertor powers the GFI’s so I’m sorry there is no switch on the controller. If the invertor isn’t getting enough power from the solar panel then it will not power the GFI’s. 

Again, the inverter is powered by the battery. The tech mis-stated.

That would imply that the inverter will not run purely off battery power (e.g., at night if boondocking).  Really???  We shall see.

Lastly, again from FR:

This is currently a new system for us so we are learning right along with you.

Uh.. ya... Learning being the key word here... He should not being passing advise until he learns a bit more.

Further comments/questions/concerns welcome, as you guys are a smart bunch.  Thanks for the feedback so far.

Your inverter does have the switch I mentioned earlier according to the spec's you supplied. 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod_Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by furpod

Can you post a picture of your solar controller? Many have an inverter switch or selection on them.

the owners manual you linked says the inverter comes with a switch and a 20 foot cable.. but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for Bob at the factory to bin those and wire it straight in some manner..

However.. if the tech is recommending it be "left on".. that implies it can be shut off. That is the correct answer, if left on, it has a steady draw, just idling.

Exactly like this one (the 195 is in the shop):

I swear I spotted an on/off switch for the inverter like this one:

Can't verify until I get back inside the R-Pod.
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod_Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

...Shore Power first passes through the Inverter.  Any outlets on the circuit connected to the inverter are limited to 12A due to the Inverter breaker, which will be the first to trip (as I experienced).

Is this what the Tech said? No reason for this. The inverter comes off the battery yet does supply the same outlet that shore-power will. Shore-power comes on the switch in the inverter activates, no power passing from the inverter....

From my reading of the manual plus the WFCO tech's comments it seems that when shore AC hits the inverter it senses the shore power and goes in to pass-through mode.  I'm not saying that shore power powers the inverter.  

From the manual:

The AC output of the WF-5110R Inverter, when in Pass-Through mode, is protected by a
resettable [12A] circuit breaker...The breaker will trip in a high current situation. Should a
breaker trip, reduce or remove the connected AC load and reset the circuit breaker. Re-start
the inverter and check for proper operation.

So again, I got bitten by the 12A limit imposed by the inverter even though I was on 30A shore power and the inverter itself was not supplying any power.

...Here is the latest from FR tech support:

The solar panel powers the invertor I call BS on this one...

I'm skeptical of this comment as well.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 3:22pm

...Shore Power first passes through the Inverter.  Any outlets on the circuit connected to the inverter are limited to 12A due to the Inverter breaker, which will be the first to trip (as I experienced).

Is this what the Tech said? No reason for this. The inverter comes off the battery yet does supply the same outlet that shore-power will. Shore-power comes on the switch in the inverter activates, no power passing from the inverter....

From my reading of the manual plus the WFCO tech's comments it seems that when shore AC hits the inverter it senses the shore power and goes in to pass-through mode.  I'm not saying that shore power powers the inverter.  

From the manual:

The AC output of the WF-5110R Inverter, when in Pass-Through mode, is protected by a
resettable [12A] circuit breaker...The breaker will trip in a high current situation. Should a
breaker trip, reduce or remove the connected AC load and reset the circuit breaker. Re-start
the inverter and check for proper operation.

So again, I got bitten by the 12A limit imposed by the inverter even though I was on 30A shore power and the inverter itself was not supplying any power.

...Here is the latest from FR tech support:

The solar panel powers the invertor I call BS on this one...

I'm skeptical of this comment as well.

<From my reading of the manual plus the WFCO tech's comments it seems that when shore AC hits the inverter it senses the shore power and goes in to pass-through mode.  I'm not saying that shore power powers the inverter. >

This is correct and what I mentioned as the transfer switch. The inverter is off line when shore-power is introduced. The 12amp limit is no longer in play since the inverter is not, when on shore-power.

<The solar panel powers the invertor I call BS on this one... 
I'm skeptical of this comment as well.>

Just think about this for a moment.. You have a 100watt panel (not sure what you have) and it's supposed to power a 1000w inverter? What part of the math works? Skeptical? It's BS.. 

Easy way to see if the inverter is causing an issue, is to dis-connect it. If all systems are good without it, then you found the issue. I'm under the impression it's not the inverter... 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 4:35pm
After reading most of this, including the WFCO manual and having installed a solar system on my 179 it looks like there is a normal inverter and includes most operational needs.  From reviewing the manual you are limited to a 12 amp resettable circuit breaker on the inverter or 1440 watts of power.  You can't determine from the manual what is powered from the inverter, to do that you would have to be off shore power have the battery (ies) connected charged and the inverter operational then find out what appliances (refrigerator, water heater, fan for the furnace, TV, and micro wave I don't think any of these will be operational off the inverter) which would indicate that they are wired directly to shore power and not to the inverter.  At the same time check the outlets and find out which ones have power while not on shore power.  This will let you know what is operating what.  Keep in mind that the solar panel (s) will be charging the batteries and then the power will be going to the inverter to be used as 120v in the rpod.

When you are on shore power your rpod maybe wired to power your appliances separately (not through the inverter).  Also this equipment is not an inverter /  converter so to charge your batteries the converter (converting 120v to 12v) has to be working when on shore power, which should be in the WFCO breaker box.

An other thing to keep in mind, it looks like you have a remote controller for the inverter and there is an off/on button on both the inverter and remote controller, and the off/on button on the inverter has to be in the off setting for the remote to function then you can remotely control the inverter.

The other thing is that the solar panel(s) puts power in the batteries through the charge controller which converts the power from the panels to the batteries.  Then the inverter can use this power to deliver 120v power down stream.

Also keep in mind that the refrigerator needs 12v power to it's control circuits to work with gas.

Hope this helps and is not more confusing.
Jay

179/2019
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 8:24am
That inverter has an automatic transfer switch (ATS) in it. When shore power is present the ATS will connect any ac circuits powered by the inverter to shore power, leaving the inverter inactive. When shore power is not present the ATS will connect those circuits to the inverter which will try to power them from your trailer batteries.

Since the inverter has lower peak power capacity (1 kw continuous, 2kw surge) than the shore power receptacle, and MUCH lower energy (power x time) capacity (limited by your battery capacity) it is at best inadvisable if not impossible to run large electrical loads like space heaters on the inverter.

So I agree with the suggestion that you find out which outlets and appliances run on the inverter and which on shore power only. With your battery charged and your inverter running disconnect from shore power and see which circuits remain energized and which don’t. Then, only plan on running light loads on the circuits that the inverter powers. If possible put your heavier loads like that space heater on the circuits which only run on shore power. If that’s not possible then shut those appliances off before you disconnect from shore power.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>