R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Bent axle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Iceworm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bent axle
    Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 6:39pm
Hello all,

I have noticed more than a few podders over the years that have suffered from the border line proper weight axles on are r-pods.

I have an early 2017 179 with about 25000 miles on it with the driver side wheel tilting in at the top. I have never hit any thing not do I over load the r-pod. Though I am very careful to adjust my speed according to the asphalt conditions I suspect that the quality of the roads (frost heaves) here in alaska and the border line axle weight have taken there toll.

Has any one successfully had an axle rebent? I don't know of any shops up here doing that.

Has anyone purchased a new axle from say lippert or dexter? If so how did you communicate the mounting hardware and location?

Or is the best option to go to forest river? It so is there a good contact person to get with to minimize a lot of run around?

Thank you for any information.

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 9:29pm
A good frame shop should be able to do it. Call around and ask them if they can recamber a trailer axle. You might want to reinforce it as well, there are several methods folks on this forum have used.

If you want to get a new axle get the model number off the label on your current axle and call Lippert. You could also ask them if you can get an axle in their next weight range (5200 lb) with the same dimensions, but you would need to buy new brakes and wheels as well as the axle. You might be able to get a Dexter axle built to the specs you need, see if they can work from the Lippert model number or you could get the measurements they need from the old axle.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 9:30pm
When ours was replaced (similar bending), I went through the dealer but neither FR nor Lippert covered it so it was out of pocket. That axle turned out to have a bad weld for the brake mounting plate on the door side so it was recently replaced under warranty with Lippert even reimbursing me for the labor costs. If you contact Lippert, the model and serial numbers on the label that is on the axle will give them the specifications needed to replace the axle. The down side is that it will be the same axle rating. If you check out my mods (see link in signature), you can see what I did to strengthen my axle to hopefully prevent another loss of camber problem. Others have used different methods to strengthen the axle, either by reinforcing the whole thing or by bracing the portions of the axle between the frame and the arms.

The issue is that there is too much distance between the attachment points of the frame and the arms for the wheels. If those attachment points were closer to the arms, we would not need to have this discussion as the axle would be stronger.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 8:02am
As mentioned above, I still would contact FR and start a claim. Sorry to say there is no 'quick' way about it. FR will take a month doing what-ever they do and send it to Lippert. Then they'll take a month.. Such has been my experience.

Your on spot about how it happens. It's not just if over-weight or crashing through a ditch, much of this is just highway speeds and potholes. I had an engineer run the numbers for me on my issue and was amazed how much force is placed on the axle and frame for just small potholes on the roadways.

In my case it wasn't as much the axle, but the frame not only bent but fractured. If you have not, do inspect closely to determine which it actually is. I do have the extended warranty and the issue was covered. It took over 2 months in all.

I will in Spring add he reinforcement to the axle, much as Stephan has. My frame repair has added strength where needed and do suggest to any and all to reinforce at the axle mount as well. OG ran the numbers of a good way of doing this. 

Wishing you the best for resolving the issue!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Iceworm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iceworm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 1:42pm
OK thanks fellows,

I have followed most of your previous posts and have seen the mods on reinforcements. I will take all into consideration.

I found a sticker on the axle (paper) about a year ago and anticipating future need wrote the numbers down in my log book. Some of the numbers were already not very legible so questionable. A metal tag would have been wiser.

I don't think I won't the hassle of dealing with FR for warranty, so I will try your suggestions of writing an axle company with the numbers I got off the axle tag and see where it goes.
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Toyanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 9:13pm
It would be better and cheaper to just have a good frame shop in your town re-align your axle and then reinforce it. It is most likely just out of alignment and not bent, axles are built straight and then bent to align it with the trailer. A new axle will do the same thing if not reinforced. I had mine re-aligned for $200. and then I reinforced it, no more problems and that was almost a year ago.
Here is my axle before and after, both sides were the same when I bought the trailer used.

Iceworm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iceworm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 1:30am
Yes, that is what I need. First picture looks very similar to mine. I sent an email off to Dexter for their opinion. Our nearest town is 100 miles and next town that might have that type of shop is Anchorage 330 miles, but I am going to take your advice and make a few phone calls to see if I can locate anyone that can tweak the axle. To get a new one, shipping alone is going to be extreme.
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 7:15am
Originally posted by Toyanvil

It would be better and cheaper to just have a good frame shop in your town re-align your axle and then reinforce it. It is most likely just out of alignment and not bent, axles are built straight and then bent to align it with the trailer. A new axle will do the same thing if not reinforced. I had mine re-aligned for $200. and then I reinforced it, no more problems and that was almost a year ago.
Here is my axle before and after, both sides were the same when I bought the trailer used.

Great! I was wondering how your axle reinforcement has worked out. I would have preferred to use your version but I had neither the expertise nor the tools to make them nor did I know anyone who could have made them for me. My version has worked out okay so far. I no longer have the excess wear on the inside edges of the tires. We are on our third trip with the reinforcement (and second axle with the reinforcement put on due to the previous axle having a faulty weld for the brake mounting plate). We want to head out toward Alaska next year so having a good axle that won't cause excess tire wear is important.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 2:29pm
The Lippert torsion axles are shipped crowned in the center giving them a bit of positive camber. This flattens out a bit under load. My very simple approach to reinforcement is to add a piece of 3/16 or 1/4 steel angle under the axle clamped to the axle with two square u bolts mounted at 45 degree angles at each end. No welding is required. The angle should be crowned in the center to mate up to a properly crowned axle tube.

To determine if you axle is properly crowned run a string line from one end of your axle to the other and measure the gap in the center. If should be around 1/4 to 3/8 inch. Less is an indication that the axle is bent.

If the gap is ok then your negative camber issue on the drivers wheel might not be the axle tube. It could be the spindle or the rubber cords in the torsion assembly, in which case a new axle is the only practical fix.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jeepers29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeepers29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 2:25pm
Can you please suppy pics of your axle fix.  I will be picking up a new 180 in the next week or so and would like to address this now, before it becomes an issue.  Thanks, Joel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>