R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFresh water tank and freezing weather - Event Date: 07 Dec 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Fresh water tank and freezing weather
    Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 6:22am
+1 on TexMan’s mods. If you want to boondock in moderately cold weather in an rpod and want your fresh water system to work that is the way to go. The electric heaters use far too much energy. The recirculating system uses the propane water heater so carry an extra cylinder and you should be ok.

The gray and black tanks will still be subject to freezing so carry some RV antifreeze for that.

If you are expecting prolonged really cold weather, then keep it winterized. There are true 4 season trailers for that kind of use if you have the $$$.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 9:10am
I insulated my fresh water tank and installed a recirculating water system for freezing weathe.  check out my mods from my signature link if you are interested. 
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 6:53pm
And if you had shore power, you would probably want to use 120VAC to cut down on the current required.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 5:42pm
The problem with the 12V heaters for the tanks is that if the refrigerator draws down the batteries quickly, the heaters would kill them in almost no time. This would only be feasible if shore power were available. If not, then this would only work while traveling if the TV's alternator and wiring could support the load such heaters would add.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 12:14pm
You can buy stick-on 12V heaters for tanks and pipes. Amazon.com has quite a few.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 9:15pm
There are very few trailers in the size  range of the RPods that are true four season capable. Lance (if equipped), Airstream, and Oliver (US brands) and Bigfoot (Canadian brand)are some I have looked at online. All of them are magnitudes greater in price than the RPods. All require that heat be running to have water in the tanks. It sounds like you have a workable plan for being able to camp dry. I hope it works out for you.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Buffalohunter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 5:30pm
Got that right...olddawgsrule...just my thoughts exactly...but I’ll piss outside and dig a hole to crap in...actually I have mounted a toilet seat on a 5 gallon bucket double lined with garbage bags.
Buffalohunter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 5:25pm
Thanks guys for the tips.  I wouldn’t hold the salesman libel for anything since he was just trying to make a living...and anybody knows salesmen lie.  The delivery tube is the week link in the freezing issue...so insulating that would be very helpful. I need to look into insulating the tank with something. Bottom line lots of good suggestions and things to think about. Where I go it is below freezing all day and night all day and all night. Therefore I need to get in harvest and get out. But I will let you know if I find a solution to insulating the water tank.  Maybe just not fill the tank and fetch fresh water everyday for my needs.  Extra propane is definitely a must to keep the pod from becoming a freezer. Really appreciate all your input...thanks 
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 2:07pm
Think of it as a hard sided tent in the winter. Hot water is from the stovetop, fresh water is in a jug, poop in the toilet with a trash bag lining it, Wag-Bag (cat litter is a good medium), pee in a bottle. I call it 'Winter Mode'! 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 9:15am
Buffalohunter every state has different rules about salesmen's lies and how it affects the contract you likely signed.  Usually, in contracts there is a clause that disclaims any oral representations.  If you're not able to come up with a solution to your winter camping dilemma, then it'd be worth consulting a local lawyer.  

We camped in our Pod with temperatures down into the 20's with no problem.  But it was below freezing for only a few hours.  I added some foam pipe insulation to the water line from the tank to where the it entered the trailer to keep that part from freezing, but I haven't a clue whether it really helped.  As StephenH said, there are discussions, and even diagrams, of various recirculation systems that use the furnace as a heat source which you can find in the archives.  Provided you brought extra propane, which you'd probably need anyway, the circulation pump systems look like a pretty viable solution.

Our Sonoma has an insulated bottom and a heater duct sending hot air to the underbelly area.  No one made any representations about how low the temperatures can go before it is in danger of freezing and I'm not inclined to risk freezing the pipes.  I hope it'll extend the camping season a little, but don't consider it a 4 season trailer.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>